Monday, April 25, 2011

I can, I will, I am...

I hope everyone had a Blessed Easter! Just a few snippets from our weekend...


The sun shone so brightly Easter morning, we couldn't help but squint for the pic and it will always help me remember how warm the sun felt.  In fact, I think it was partially because of the sunny and springy day, that church had more people than I've ever seen.  It was quite literally, standing room only, and I was so, so happy to feel the real celebration in the triumph of the resurrection.




Photobucket

Colton was delighted to discover the Easter Bunny had brought him tomato plant kits.  These were in the dollar bin at Target and I think the Easter Bunny was pretty happy to see the grin spread from ear to ear on that child's face.  We arrived at church with blue dye on our fingers, and dirt under out nails, but I've never been so happy for the reminders of the messiness of life.


Photobucket

Quite simply, we restored "Hope" to its rightful position- top of the heap.


Photobucket

A short story to share.  A knock on the door Saturday night as we prepared to dye the eggs.  I answer to find a complete stranger standing there and she asks for "the person diagnosed," as she has seen the ribbons on my tree.  I acknowledge its me, and she grabs me in a bear hug, and tells me, "I think I was sent here to tell you, you will be okay."  And she repeats this as she hugs me.  "You will be okay."  I invite her in, she hesitates, then accepts.  She walks in and pulls off her hat to reveal hair slowly growing in combined with 10 wisps of hair on either side that are long and flowing.  She is healthy, radiant, and a survivor.  She has seen it all.  She has had a double masectomy, radiation and chemo.  She is 9 months into treatment and was here in town for the weekend.  We talk for 20 minutes nonstop.  We show each other our "ports."  We talk side effects, and the outpouring of love we both experience.  She leaves me with her name and phone number... and another glimpse of my future.   She entered my home as a stranger, and left as a sister.  An angel, really, is what she was, and it had God's handprint all over it.


 I can do this. I will do this.  I am doing this.  






This is Nan, from Cedar Rapids.  Thank you friend, I truly love seeing where my bracelets go!


These 4 cuties I know very well, and I can only imagine how hard it was to get all 4 of them in the same place at one time!  Thanks Bonnie, you know I love all the photos of your kids.  


This is a rare treat.  This is from my friend Elizabeth, who gave the bracelet to her friend.  And this is the email Elizabeth shared "This is my friend Tanya from Cape Town. She's going to school in Duluth now and she'll wear the bracelet when she goes home to South Africa next month too."  

How cool is that?  So far I have heard of bracelets going to Australia and Canada, and now South Africa?   I am so touched by that... thanks for the cool idea Elizabeth! 



Teri used to live by me and I hardly knew her, and that is changing.  But, I have always been huge fans of her two boys Jordan, and Jesse,  who are both hockey players, and football players and baseball players that my own two boys admire so much.  


I spent my morning walking outside in the sunshine with Darla, and then I talked with my forever and best friend, Kristi.  When I got off the phone, look what showed up in my email!  A picture from two best friends, Jennifer, and Melody from Texas.  Thank you girls for taking the time to brighten my day!



Thank you to all of you who continue to find the most unique and heartfelt ways to show support for me.   I count each one of you as a blessing and my cup continues to overflow. 

11 comments:

  1. How awesome that someones who's been through it all stopped by to encourage you!

    Nice to see the pics of people that are supporting you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An angel here, an angel there,
    I’m surrounded by angels everywhere.
    When I’m in the middle of a terrible storm
    They come with their candles to keep me warm.

    An angel to comfort, an angel to guide,
    An angel to fill that dark hole inside.
    An angel to cry on, an angel who cares,
    Angels, angels, everywhere!

    The angels who reach out when times are rough
    Who’ll listen to all of my heartache and stuff,
    In the bright sunshine and the dark of night,
    The angels surround me with comforting light.

    I guess God is busy and can’t come on down
    To give me a smile and take care of my frown,
    So He sent a few angels to brighten my day,
    And help to carry my burdens away.

    So thank you, dear angels (my friends), more than you’ll know,
    For watering my happiness and making it grow!
    ***************
    Thought of you when I read this poem Vicky! May you always be surrounded by angels.

    Love, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible story! Keep yourself surrounded by Positive People, Positive Energy and Lots of Love!
    Got my Bracelet, will send Pic soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem that Eileen shared. So beautiful. Vicky, you are light and happiness to all of us :)

    That first picture is great. You look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was a complete stranger? How cool Vicky. A gift from God I'm sure.

    I love the picture of you and the boys...priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how God sent someone to encourage you! Strength to you my new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the Director of Christian Ed at my church in Champaign, and I have often told the children that when angels appear they are messengers of good news. Surely your visitor this week-end was just that. With God all things are possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled onto your blog and was quickly taken in by your beautiful story about an unexpected visitor. It was quite remarkable! I blog, too, at www.nancyspoint.com. Stop by sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God astounds me. Really, someone comes you your door with that message of comfort and hope. Just shows up and shows you the way?

    Amen.
    Amen.
    Amen.

    Glad Easter was such a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i LOVE the woman who walked in a stranger and left a sister. i love her for hugging on you when i can't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty sure I shouldn't be a Californian. I would SO stop at somebody's house and do the same thing!!! And mortify everyone around me in the process! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape