Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Benefit...



Jaw dropping.  Gratitude spilling.  Earth shattering. Tears falling.  Heart exploding.  I still have a hard time putting these next 3 words together... Vicky Westra Benefit.  I keep wanting to look over my shoulder for the "sick" woman, everyone is making such a big deal about.  But then I bend a little the wrong way and pain shoots up my spine.  And I'm ready for a nap by noon some days.  I awake with nausea and have a need to stay close to the bathroom at times.  The reality settles in a bit more each day.


Sitting on "THE couch," and you all know that couch, in HER studio, was just like any other day last week. Is there any question that the poster and the beautiful family portrait  were done by Ria Czichotzki, of rialeephotography?  But in the gallery of photos she took, that reduce me to a blubbering mess, I see the wince in my face when Colton grabs me around the middle.  The evidence of the disease, the cancer, is harder to deny.  It turns out its not such an ordinary day.

But I'm not digging for the blessings, trying to dislodge them from the muck.  They're still on the surface, like giant bubbles of grace, floating along and popping open with goodness at any given interval. Albert Einstein says:  There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Miracles, yes, life lines really, and I am grabbing hold.  I have no earthly idea how I will be a good steward of these blessings and how to multiply and reflect back to all those who have bestowed them on me.  All I do know is I feel a bit like Cinderella getting ready for the ball.  Each kindness and goodness bestowed upon me fills me with a bit of light.  And come May 1st, I might just be the twinkliest girl at the ball.


Thank you a million times over for the exquisite work, Ria.  Its beyond words and I love it.


Watch for more bracelet photos to be posted soon!



11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of a loving family! So great to hear how your community is rallying behind you.

    You already share so much love and light - and now with all the light being sent to you I'm sure the glow from Moorehead will be visible from outer space.

    Take those Cinderella shoes off from time to time and get the rest your body needs to work with the chemo.

    Thinking of you every day Vicky.

    A gentle (((hug))).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture, that Ria she is something special! You look gorgeous...heck you all do. Will be at the benefit and you better be in your Cinderella best. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. as one who does so much for others, i'm sure it's hard to be on the receiving end. but, wow, what great friends you have!

    the family photo is SO good, and i'm so glad you have so many people throwin' punches on your behalf!

    question: do the bracelets come in any other color besides pink? i know why they're that color, i'm just so not a pink girl. just wonderin'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to write poetry...Vicky you are living poetry :) Beauty of body, mind, soul and spirit.

    You must write a book. The gift of you and your talent with words will blow every reader away.

    The photo is lovely.

    Love the Einstein quote. (By the way, I never thought that I would hear a quote from Einstein that was philosophical too!)

    Hockey playoff mania here. My oldest son loves the Caps and my husband loves the Rangers. You can imagine the battles while we watch the playoffs. LOL

    Big hugs coming your way Cinderella!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All our hopes and prayers are for you Vicky. Keep fighting like a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart will be there ... that poster is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the family photo...so beautiful. I so wish I could come over and make you a nice cup of hot tea with honey for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rest as much as possible Vicky and eat as much as you can and whatever you feel like. God's watching over you and will heal you and bless you with a complete cure. Love you loads..Take care

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how you remain in my thoughts and prayers. Each posting sends me back to the same kind of blessings and the same kind of circumstance. I know He has you in a great big place of grace and mercy because He just loves like that. Thanks again for the book...I'm really enjoying it.
    Love to you...stick close to that Zofran :)
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful family portrait, I don't know if I've ever seen a better capture of a family! ... love the soft, warm feel.

    Vicky, you have such a gift for writing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Septembermom. A book from your heart. You have always inspired me, Vicky, but never more so than now. And your ability for imagery..."They're still on the surface, like giant bubbles of grace, floating along and popping open with goodness at any given interval." I'm praying my deficient memory can hang on to that beautifully written thought of yours. Please put that in the book so I can read it during those times I forget my blessings.

    I'm sorry to be popping in irregularly but PLEASE KNOW there is not a DAY you are not in my heart, on my mind, and flying on the wings of my prayer straight to the Throne Room.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape