Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Flood relief... we're home!






My mom could have sworn she heard that Zone one was being allowed to return home. So we started to pack up yesterday and then did some research. Mom was wrong. Not yet. But soon. So we called a couple of friends who said we had 10 new inches of snow on the ground, but it had stopped for awhile. We decided to head for home. We snapped the first photo as we left the lake. And as you can see Dakota picked a different boy to snuggle close to, although it may have had something to do with the french fries on Colton's lap.

We returned to a mess, but a dry one! While the river levels continue to decline however, they have warned about the possibility of a new crest when all this snow melts and so I am allowed to organize the mess, but it will have to stay upstairs till we're safely through the next crest.

I even talked to my dad last night for the first time since early last week. His voice is stronger and his spirits are good. And to everyone who has been saying prayers for all of us? I have to say I think they are working. Do you know that the hospital my dad is in only started taking patients 15 minutes before he arrived? 15 minutes. Otherwise he would have been transported to Minneapolis. My dad has been hospitalized many times in this hospital. But this time is unique for many reasons. He has two doctors. And he said they both come in and sit down. They shoot the breeze with him and have gotten to know him. And the chaplain came to see him. I could tell that struck a chord with my dad. And then the head administrator came for a visit. Since dad is a bit of a regular there, the administrator wanted to know my dad's opinion on the care he receives there. I am certain my dad was happy to tell him. But I think the extremely attentive nurses have been my dad's favorite thing so far. I heard one telling dad he went all over the hospital just to find the strawberry Jello for dad.

While no one is proclaiming we are completely out of the woods, the sense of relief I feel is huge. The only April Fools joke I have to share with you is that the flood gates still opened. My own that is... I have been a teary-eyed mess all morning. And it isn't that we suffered or lost, or weren't made extremely comfortable at the lake, cause we were indeed. But we've just been under a lot of stress. Regardless of the reason, the tallest of dikes could not have held me back. What a relief, they don't have to.

17 comments:

  1. Vicky,
    I'm so glad you made it home safe. I was hoping to get back today but I29 is still closed in some areas. Maybe tomorrow. I too will be organizing the upstairs. So many totes to walk around! My flood gates have opened several times. Thinking I'm fine then something will send me and the tears just flow.
    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy! So glad to hear from you :) Sorry you are still stuck. Kim C. asked for your email and hopefully you connected with her. Glad to hear I am not the only one a little teary eyed :) Just saw Darla pull in too. Will be good when you get home! How is Chad holding up on dike watch? Ohh, and what happened to Chester? Nolan keeps asking me about poor Chester? Take care and hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the tears flow...as long as they don't add to the flooding!
    So glad that you're back home, and that your dad is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. V - so glad to hear that you are back home -- blowing snow and shoveling I am sure but back home. While it was wonderful to have a place to go - there truly is no place like home. As soon as I can get my little guy well I am sure he will start clamoring again to go to "Colton's house" -- glad to hear that all is well with it. It is snowing here today - but nothing like up there. I am just so glad that you are safe. I hope things up there return to "normal" (so to speak) as soon as possible -- and that this whole event is not repeated in a couple of weeks. K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libby, I seem to have no way of stopping today :) Thanks for being such a big supporter for all the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi, I hope Christopher feels well soon. A sick child is no fun for either of you:) Tell him Colton says to get better soon. Thanks for all the support and concern. Its been really comforting to have so many show up and leave such thoughtful comments. Can't even entertain the possibility of doing this again in a few weeks... big ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicky so glad you are home and DRY of all things! Keep up updated and glad to have you back. Tuesday was my meltdown day and I believe I could easily have another in the near future...we just have to remember that this too shall pass!!
    Thomas was worried about Colton too so I will be sure to tell him that he is home and ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, what a pleasant surprise, I had no idea you had a blog as well. How fun to have another in the mix :) How is the clean up going? I can only imagine the stress with your boys being so young and needing so much more of you. Colton will also be glad to hear that TJ is fine. So good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your home. We will continue to pray that you can stay there and that your dad will continue to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Dr. John, it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you're home Vicky! I've been gone all day so I just found out...I'm so glad. I am going to pray about the next crest...
    And for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicky - great news about your dad, each day is a step forward. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Vicki, I'm so glad that your home was spared! I've been thinking of you guys.
    Praying for your dad. I love that his nurse went all over the hospital for his strawberry jello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sara, hope you both are doing well also :)

    Jill, thanks so much for the prayers and for thinking of us :) It is so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. VICKY! I'm so sorry I missed out on all your updates. I've been at UCSF in San Francisco and got held over. Had I known I would have brought my laptop. Grrr.

    I'm GLAD you had a good cry. I can't believe you haven't produced your OWN flood with all that's been going on. You're made of strong stuff girl.

    What an ANSWER to prayers that your house didn't flood and you're headed home. Let's continue to pray that THIS snow melts slowly and doesn't put you in peril again.

    Still praying!

    ((((hugs and a big shoulder if you need one friend))))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Robynn, thank you for continuing to think of me when you have so much you are dealing with as well! I hope your tests turned out okay and you will let us know soon :) I sent an email to you, please look for it!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape