Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday




Would it be a surprise if I said Nolan was up at 5 this morning ready to start hunting for eggs?  I didn't think so.  He held off till 6 and I finally acquiesced and got out of bed.  The sun was just coming up and the sky was glowing in hot pink and orange swirls.  I grabbed my camera and threw a coat over my pj's and scampered outside to get the shot.  I stood precariously balanced on one slippered foot, with the other stuck in the side of the clay dike, and squinted adjusting the lens of the camera to get the shot.  I stood there contemplating the pastel-colored sky and jumped when the newspaper delivery guy came around the corner, catching me in all of  my pj and slippers glory.  I scooted back inside the house, and sat down to see what I had captured only to have my card reader tell me my files were corrupt.  Hours later, Rick confirmed, all of the photos on my camera card were lost.

But on this day, this Easter Sunday, I somehow couldn't find it within me to be upset.  I started thinking that while I didn't have the photo of the moment I wanted to capture, I still had the moment, and that can't be changed, or undone or lost.  I was there, all bed-head and sleepy-eyed, but the sunrise was mine for the viewing this morning.  And so I let the computer drift back to sleep and began the day in earnest.  I made cinnamon rolls and got the eggs boiling to be decorated.  Later, the boys even let me sort out all the eggs plastered in Luke Skywalker and Anakin, and let me keep the pretty eggs in the bowl for one of the three photos I did get to keep. 

 Nothing about our Easter Sunday was picture perfect in the first place.  But aren't we always editing out the photos  we don't like?  We don't want to keep the ones of closed eyes and cheesy grins or the unexpected photo that catches you with your mouth hanging open.  So while we had some less than stellar experiences today, they aren't the ones I am going to hang on to.  Instead, I am keeping the images of the boys putting their suits on for Easter, with minimum complaint.  And the eagerness in which they sought out their eggs this morning.  And the wonder on their faces when pastor Dan's plastic eggs at children's moments, contained nails and a rock, and the last one which held nothing. I may have lost a few pictures, but I'll treasure the images in my head that I choose to carry with me instead.

10 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, Vicky. You are so absolutely right to not let ANYthing steal your joy today. What you had will last you, and the boys, a lifetime. They'll remember all the happy moments instead of a stressed-out mommy, you wise woman.

    You drew such vivid images. I was standing with you right there on when the paperboy came by. Did you see me in my ratty t-shirt and gym pants?! :) Happy, happy Easter, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often have to STOP, and realize what's really important in my life. Sometimes I only have to stop for a moment, but at other times...the wait becomes a very long one.

    I'm so glad that you were able to be home, with your "men", and celebrate the joy of Easter, together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Robynn :) You are always so kind and thoughtful in the words you choose for us/me in your comments. I'll be sure to extend my hand next time I meet you at sunrise in your pj's, always happy to have you along friend!

    Libby, i think what you jut said is very wise, sometimes it just takes longer than others to sift through what's important and what's not. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of those pictures, Vicky.
    I am a photo hog. I hate deleting any pics that I take of my girls, even the ones that I think are less than perfect. Months later, these are the ones that I enjoy the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jill, I am trying to push those thoughts and feelings aside every time they come up :) I even made a folder last week to get the rest of my photos off that card but then had so much trouble with our internet that I forgot to do it in the end. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder about cropping and fixing our photos. Some of my favorite old photos are the favorite because you can see the old flower couch or something else in the background.... hmmm food for thought

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jules, how true. I do get overly critical at times when its a certain mood or image I am going for and hurry to delete or alter it when I don't get what I want. I definitely think there is something to be said for leaving images alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweetie I'm so sorry about your pictures. But I love your attitude. My day today has been the pits and I needed to have my power on earlier so I could get an attitude adjustment by reading your post!
    (But the mail man rang the door bell late this afternoon and since then I've been smiling:)
    Love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin, sorry for the yucky day! Being without power is not a good feeling at all and can do a lot to mess with our plans! One of our worst fears is a power outage when our pumps are working so hard to keep the water out!! I'm hoping tomorrow you will get a fresh start and be back in business:) Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I save all the pictures good and bad. The bad one's get better as the years roll along.
    My daughter hid that same series of eggs ( as the Pastor) for my grandchildren for our outside Easter hunt.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape