Sunday, November 2, 2008

MckMiracles

You may notice a new button in my sidebar. I have followed the story of MckMama for a long time now. Wednesday, October 29th, she gave birth to a healthy baby boy named Stellan who at one time they were told may never survive outside the womb. She has shared the pain and sorrow as well as the joy of this journey with an unwavering courage and deeply abiding faith. When she posted a picture asking for a caption my heart answered even before my head... the caption I offered was this... Mckmiracle. However, I wasn't the first to suggest it, or the last... several more followed and Mckmama agreed it was one of her favorites. I think it is one of those stories that will stay with me for a long time.


And here is another story that will stay with me for a long time, especially after today. After church today we decided to go out to eat. The boys were so well-behaved at church and we were just enjoying being with them. After we ate Nolan discovered a dollar he had in his pocket and had to stick it in a vending machine in the entrance. His selection? Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies. Rick and I groaned almost simultaneously. When we had first moved back to Minnesota from Idaho, Nolan came home from Preschool one day with some of these cookies. I helped myself having never tried them before. Within about 20 minutes of eating them I noticed big red splotches appearing on my arm, and then my neck, my stomach, me back... etc. I called ask-a-nurse who recommended benadryl since hives were the only symptom I had. However as we were talking the strangest thing happened, my lips started to tingle. She quickly went on to say that in bold face on her instruction card it said I was to go immediately to the ER. Rick quickly summoned our neighbors whom we had only met the week before and handed the kids over to them and rushed me away. By the time I got to the ER they took my pulse and listened to my heart in the reception area and instantly the tech yelled "She's tachy, get her back their STAT. The doors flew open and let me tell you the next few minutes were a blur. Needles got shoved in, I was given oxygen. They warned me they may have to intubate. For some reason I was relatively calm. I ended up in Intensive care on the cardiac floor of the hospital. They simply could not get the reaction to quit. Every time they stopped the eppy and the benadryl, my throat began to swell. I spent two days in ICU and after being given mega doses of a variety of drugs, I finally came around.

So after we were finished telling the boys about mommy having to be in the hospital and being very sick from the cookies, Nolan looks at me in all seriousness and says "But, mommy, just tell me... DID YOU LIVE?????" You could have scraped me up off the floor!

7 comments:

  1. From cookies?? Who knew...that's funny that he was wondering if you are still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! We thought maybe since the cookies were processed in a plant that processes nuts as well that maybe it was a nut allergy... but I didn't react to any nut, or anything else when I was tested. I've never had that kind of reaction since, Thank god!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Oh my gosh, I was sooo into that story and my heart was racing for you...

    I did NOT see that punchline coming! What a funny boy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, great blog material I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember your reaction to the cookies well - I am sure that you were not ready to grab that bag and join in the cookie fest.
    PS - Glad to hear that you are still alive! DID YOU LIVE - From the mouths of babes...how cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! It's really early here and this woke me right up! I'm so glad you lived and that little blurb will be repeated by your family for the next 40 years!!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess that is one way to stop eating cookies...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape