Thursday, February 11, 2010

9 1/2 Nolan

I'm sharing a story about Nolan today because he is growing up so much.  I find myself standing up to hug him, instead of leaning down.  Plus, I have to barter more for my hugs.   So I am trying to capture his 9 year old self before he turns double digits in a couple of months.

Rick went to a yearbook meeting at Nolan's school the other night and Mrs. Sailor, the art teacher was on the committee.  When Rick went to introduce himself, he mentioned he was "Nolan's Dad."  Mrs. Sailor got a big smile on her face and said "Oh yes, let me tell you a story about Nolan after the meeting."

Rick said he couldn't fathom what she would have to say.  You just have to know Nolan.  This is what she shared with Rick after the meeting.

In first grade Nolan's class made a clay quilt wallhanger, that they were to bring home for a Christmas present for us parents.  She said to the kids when the art projects were done "They are so fragile, if you would like, you can ask a grown-up person to come and pick these up for you and bring them to your house!"  She said she is always wondering if the kids are truly listening to her.  Apparently Nolan was.  His hand went up and he asked one simple question... "Mrs. Sailor?  But how would that "grown-up person" know where we live?"

I am sure "grown-up person" must have translated to "stranger" in his mind.  As I sat listening and envisioning Nolan's sincere and very literal question, I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face.  Mrs. Sailor says she rephrases her instructions now, to "parents, or guardians."

7 comments:

  1. what a handsome young man ... like the light and shadows you captured, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet he likes these cool portraits of him! Love the light and shadows too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great pictures of Nolan...he's not a little boy any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures of your growing hockey player!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a handsome young man! Those are wonderful stories to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So earnest and so honest. And he sure is growing up so fast :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape