Monday, November 5, 2012

180...

180.  The number of times my Edith Sanford Breast Cancer Foundation video has been shared by the little green share button near my video.  850.  The number of new people who have viewed my video in just a couple of weeks time.  Edith Sanford hasn't begun their new ad campaign to drive people to their site just yet.  So any views, any shares?  Its mostly coming from all of you dear readers.  Thank you!

When I was first asked to share my story with ESBCF, I had no idea I would have a message.  But the longer the interview, the more we talked, the more I could articulate an idea that was percolating in my brain for some time.

The message in the video: we're all aware of breast cancer.  Its time to shift from awareness to putting our money behind researchers looking for the cure.  Here is my idea... 

I think we need to untie the pink ribbon.  We need to loosen the strings and unwrap the pink ribbon bow from awareness and re-tie those pink ribbons around research.  We need to shift not just our thinking, but our actions.  


Have you noticed you can find "pink ribbon products," nearly everywhere these days?  But did you know that the dollars spent on pink ribbon products, largely do not go to research?  I'm on the hunt for the most recent breakdowns of dollars, but its a tiny amount of dollars, compared to the enormity of research needed to find a cure... for all cancers really... the ribbon should also be blue, and purple, and yellow, and brown, etc.  Its time to end all cancers equally, decisively.  

Last week I was honored to receive a letter from the Embrace Program at Sanford Health.  The first annual Edith Sanford Breast Cancer Symposium will be held in July of 2013.  They've asked me and many other women in the community to be involved in the planning of the event.  I'm excited.  

I feel the ribbon loosening...

Would you do me the extreme honor of continuing to share my Edith Sanford Video?  

Help me shift the awareness into finding the cure...  

Okay- off my soap box for the day- its about as political as I get.  Today I am counting the gift of freedom of speech along with the right to vote amongst the things I am thankful for.  What do you pick to give thanks for today?  



11 comments:

  1. oh sweet sweet Vicky!! I love your message and new awarness about breast cancer and all cancers! YES let's find a cure -- not just a band-aide but a cure! I will keep sharing and talking about your video!

    Again if the Foundation has you come to LA - PLEASE let me know! I love the connections you are making - I love the changes you are making!
    I love that I can call you friend!

    Today, I am thankful for the power of prayer!

    Blessings on your week sweet friend!
    xoTiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tiffany- you have me grinning from ear to ear :) Hugs sweet one!

      Delete
  2. I would count it a privilege to share your story and your insight the campaign for awareness has been successful and it is now time to move the emphasis from awareness to research!!!

    (To that end, I just tried to copy the code for your All Shall Be Well photo on your sidebar, but was informed that the 'function is disabled'. Don't know if that was your intention, but if not maybe just a little adjustment in settings will allow us to copy the code.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie- thank you for your willingness to help! I have not found how to enable the function yet on my button- Sara made it for me so long ago and I'll have to work on figuring out how to undo whatever needs undoing :)

      Delete
  3. Well, like you, I'm a very visual processor, so naturally, the visual you painted of the ribbon untying and finding a new mission was very appealing. I loved the idea of all the different colors, too, Vicky. It is important. I've shared your video and will do some more. You will be fabulous in the role of helping with this event, too. They are blessed to have you on board. Weeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roxane- I think the conversation is going to be an important one and I liked the visual aspect of it too :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of untying the pink ribbon. Your words spoke so much of what has been on my heart. It is exciting to walk this journey with you! Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim- hearing from survivors such as yourself means so much :) Would love to hear more of your thoughts- I plan to go to the session with lots of ideas!

      Delete
  5. What a loving activist you are. I heartily agree with your focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kass! How are you? I'm so glad you stopped in and I hope you'll write a post soon and let us know how you are :)

      Delete
  6. I already shared it before I read this but now I will link your post about this to the video! I love the idea of including all the colors of the ribbons and untying it. You are on to big things, Vicky. May others follow as you lead the way.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape