Of course we've grown. And have spouses and children of our own. So we counted at this last gathering. Of the 19 of us first cousins, 13 were in attendance. As a group we numbered in the 50's.
It was a fun night filled with memories. My mother and her three sisters are a force of something indescribable when they are together. It just involves a lot of laughter, shrieking and wild gestures that only they seem able to interpret.
I think by the end of the evening I had a fairly firm grasp on just what it means to be part of this family. Here is what I came up with. Its a sort of a "You might be a Brainerd if ..."
- you have had your gallbladder removed or... (Dot, Carol, Mary Ann, Pam and myself.)
- you have been told you need to have your gallbladder removed but are too stubborn, or scared to actually have the surgery... Marlene AND now Jennifer.
- you aren't sure you want to travel too far because you don't know how far it might be to the nearest bathroom... ( I am so not naming, names on this one, way too many of you to count)
- unless, the exception to #3, you are asked to go to the casino. Then no distance is too far to travel!
- start a story and lose your train of thought half way through.
- know a good "throw up" story... (sorry Lee, wouldn't want you to feel left out)
- know what uff da means and use it frequently while talking.
- have eaten lutefisk... and then said uff da.
- can only pronounce wrestling as "Wrassling."
- know a good joke and it begins with "Ole and Lena..."
And if none of these make any sense to you, breathe a sigh of relief. You are probably not a Brainerd! Although, at the rate we are multiplying there is a good chance you will come in contact with one soon.
(Left to right) Aunt Carol, Aunt Dottie, Aunt Marnie, my mom Mary Ann.
Attending her first cousin's reunion, my cousin Jackie and her husband Fred
Cousins Cherri, Rob and Pam. All three of them were born the same year.
Vicky, Brenda, and Jennifer. All three of us were born the same year.
Jennifer's son Dane (7) and Nolan (9) Do you see the striking resemblance?
Jackie and Carol
Cousin Arlin, whom I haven't seen in 7 years.
Colton and his new friend Eddy.
Keenen and Pam
Marlene and Ernie
What you do when you have had enough of the Brainerds! (Eddy and Tigger.)