Friday, January 22, 2010

Where you will find me Sunday night...

I've often thought I could start my own Facebook group of all the kids I used to babysit!  So many of them are on Facebook now, but the only problem is that so many of those kids would have no idea who I was.

If you are from this area, you'd probably get quite a laugh at some of the stories I could tell.  I think a t-shirt with the caption "I survived babysitting the Haney boys" would go over really well. It took a fairly large group of rotating girls to tackle watching those boys.  With the reputation for starting fires, running away, and locking their sitters outside the house, it took a special kind of person to know how to contain the Haney's shenanigans.  It was really rewarding to move back to this area and discover the twins took over their father's photography business and are doing really well.  Gabe claims that all the vicious rumors of his pranks were highly over-exaggerated, while Greg looked at me and instantly apologized...  some things will never change... (she says with a big grin on her face.)

So this past week, while we've been flattened by illness, another one of my former babysitting charges, made the news.  While I was away for 10 years living in Idaho, Mark turned into a figure skating sensation.  I had started babysitting him when he was just 6 months old.  His mother would bring him into the nursery at church and I'd instantly grab him and keep him in my corner the whole time.  He was always content, happy, smiling and only wanted to be near me. His mother, noticing the bond we had, eventually asked me to babysit for all three of her children.  I continued to babysit the Ladwig children until Mark was 5 or 6 and I went on to college.

Two years ago, at our annual figure skating show, I got to see Mark and his partner perform.  I was thrilled beyond belief to see what a humble person he continues to be, and how talented and successful he is.  As he was warming up for his performance I was on duty to watch some of the younger skaters.  He was giving autographs and he asked me a question.  We chatted briefly and I told him I knew his family well and although he wouldn't recognize me, we were all so very proud of him.


The big news is that Mark and his partner Amanda, have qualified to compete in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics!!




Mark Ladwig of Moorhead, left, stands with skating partner Amanda Evora after the two received their second-place medals in the pairs free skate competition at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships on Saturday in Spokane. Associated Press

And you can see Mark and Amanda perform for yourselves.

What: 2010 AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships: Skating Spectacular and Olympic Send-Off

When: 8 p.m. Sunday

Where: NBC, Channel 11 in F-M area or your local NBC affiliate.

You know where I'll be come Sunday!

24 comments:

  1. SHUT UP!!!! Oh my gosh, I'll so be cheering for them. You know, he owes it all to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky...are you going to Vancouver??
    I'll be watching him on television and cheering for him. What a wonderful honor to have someone as special as Mark in your life...and for him to have you. Go Mark and Amanda!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't know anyone famous... So jealous but if I see him on TV. I'm telling every one that "My friend Vicky knows him!!!!"

    I'll be cheering for them if I see them on the telly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be SO proud - look at what your TLC did for him! It is fun to see people we know and care about excel, isn't it?

    I always try to comandeer the TV (or convince my husband to watch football or hockey downstairs) when figure skating is on. Can't wait for all the great competitions in the winter olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so exciting! I'll be cheering for them too :) Really wonderful. I love the winter Olympics. My sons are excited about watching the hockey games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gitz, ha-ha... did I mention the part he doesn't even remember me? I see his dad because Mark's dad is my dad's doctor and I live one block over from his parents.

    Jackie, oh I wish! He has a huge following and fan club here and I know the whole community will follow him and cheer him on.

    Liss, I hope they do well and that you do get to see them perform on the telly! You won't be disappointed :)

    Bonnie, I have been excited to watch too, and am now super excited to watch! I can't begin to tell you how dedicated his parents were to all three of the kids who have gone on to be very successful.

    Kelly, my kids are super excited to watch hockey too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool! You must have had something to do with it since you were his babysitter, right?! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great Vicky! My Mom loves watching figure skating. I'll have to call her and tell her all about it. She'll be cheering them on for sure! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so awesome! What a treat to see someone that your life has touched grow and strive to do what they love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That makes my day! I love the Olympics. And now I will someone to cheer for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cool! Way to go Mark and Amanda! We will be watching too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Gabe was my first boyfriend in jr. high! My friends talked me into "dropping" him and I really like him! ha ha. Too cute that you were his babysitter! I think it is so weird that the "kids" I used to babysit don't know who I am anymore and are married and have kids of their own!! I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chelsea, Yep, pretty sure that was it although... you so don't want see me skate!

    Eileen, if they perform the way I know they can, your mother will love them undoubtedly.

    Crochet, exactly... from what I have read about him he has worked for years for this very thing and never gave up on that dream.

    Sandi :) I'm so happy to see you here. So glad Mark will have you to cheer him on and maybe a handful of the kiddos too!

    Karla, I've always been a huge fan of the Olympics and having someone from our area just makes it all that much more compelling I think. So glad to see you here :)

    Heather, OMG is right!! That is sooo funny! Hilarious really. I am feeling much better, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol I chuckled out loud reading about the Haney boys... your blog is really delightful!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, how cool is that? I will be cheering for Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mark must feel like one of your own children :-) But what brings a bigger smile on my face is that you still remember who all were with you in their infancy! :D Way to Go Vicky and I am sure Mark will do you proud!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cool! I will be watching! That is just too cool!
    I hope my children do not become known as the "Haney Kids!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that is cool Vicky. I'm so glad you told us about Mark. I can't wait to see him on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I know who I'll be rooting for an will be invested than ever!!!! I LOVE figure skating. It's one of my favorite events and now to KNOW someone through you? How EXCITING is THAT? I missed last night's event but I will watch it online. He was lucky to have you love him so much even if he doesn't remember. All the love and kindness others show us when we're tiny makes a difference in who we are whether we recall it or not. You ARE in his success!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow now this is exciting. I will be watching them thinking I know them now. I hope you are all well and now I must catch up on your blog. Love your beautiful profile picture.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Robynn, so glad to see you back and you know I'll be coming around to check on you soon! Thank you for your sweet words :)

    Lilly, so good to have you back for a bit and hopefully longer!! We've all missed you and hope you don't have to be gone from us for that long again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. U MUST BE PROUD OF HIM

    http://sparkledaroma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vicky, I have an award for you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! That's awesome and such a small world. I saw them the other day on tv!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape