Monday, August 12, 2013

...when happiness hears your name...


“Ever since happiness heard your name, it has been running through the streets trying to find you.” 
― حافظ


It caught me.  Happiness that is... the staggering response we have felt from the on the minds of moms magazine feature, has truly been well?  Completely overwhelming.

I'm still counting my gifts and my journal pages are adding up rapidly.

I had a really thoughtful friend bring stamps, envelopes and extra magazines to my house.

So I spent the day Saturday fulfilling all the requests for a copy of the magazine.  We've mailed them to California, Texas, Georgia, South Dakota, Minnesota, and lots and lots of places.

Then when I went to the lab to pick up a test for my mom?  They asked for a copy.  And when I brought my mom's test back to them?  They had read it and wanted more to share. 

Plus some of the other unexpected surprises?

I heard from Colton's first pre-school teacher!

I've received phone calls, cards, texts, emails.

Somebody bought us dinner last night. 

I went to get blood work today at Roger Maris and was hugged three times before I left.  The waiting room was packed with patients in the throes of their horrible disease.  Wheel chairs scattered amongst walkers.  Lots of frail, grey, bald, and beautiful people- in the fight of their lives.  

And there they are- all the caring, compassionate people who tirelessly work there.  Both the staff and the volunteers. They pour out hope and belief and concern.  They pray when we're sick and cheer when we're well and hold us together when we are too weak and frail to think we can go on much more. 

On this day, happiness caught us all.  Amidst the pain.  The worry.  The cancer.  Happiness snuck in- calling my name.  I've been out here waiting for it to catch me.  So I could fully embrace it back.



I'll see Dr. Panwalkar in the morning and then have my infusion of herceptin to follow.



I thought I'd share the last of our photos from our Minneapolis trip last weekend.  


Saturday in the Cities we decided to take the kids to Como Zoo as we've never been before.  The admission price was perfect for us- only a suggested donation which we happily made.

The flower photos are mine- happily the animal pictures are all Rick's. 

























Saturday night Grandpa Jim stayed with the boys so Rick and I could go out to eat.  We closed out a business credit card and turned our points into restaurant gift certificates.  We felt spoiled rotten.




After dinner, as guests at the hotel in the Foshay Tower, we had free access to the observation deck above.  The views were stunning.




I also took a few shots as we walked from the restaurant to the hotel.


The IDS building with the Foshay Tower reflected on its side.


The Foshay Tower.


The surprisingly modern decor inside the hotel.  We always hotwire our rooms and have ended up here once before.  It has a pretty hip and young vibe and was perfectly comfortable.  While I perhaps prefer a bit more light and crisp, it was a fun alternative.








To end our evening, we went upstairs to the lounge where we were treated to an ambient light cast from a setting sun across the cityscape.  



30 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.
    Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh....
    I bask in your happiness.
    Love you, my friend,
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It calls wonderfull ... you are full of power.

    Love you (you know????) ;-)!

    Bussals from bavaria

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh - thank you sweet friend -

      Ich liebe dich :) Its the one phrase that stayed with me after being in Germany for a week :)

      Delete
  4. What a thrill, Vicky. I love that you brought happiness to so many. Your victory is their victory and reasons for joy and hope which we all need, but especially those, as you so aptly put it, in the fight of their lives.

    Your flower photos are so beautiful with all the colors and Rick's photo of that orangutan with his (her?) arms crossed staring into the camera, and the one of the snow leopard mid shake? AWESOME. Really great shots all but those were my fav.

    Glad you two got some couple time and the place/city where you stayed is beautiful. Never been to your part of the country but hope to someday! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- you must come Robynn! The land of 10,000 lakes would suit you well I have no doubt :) xxoo

      Delete
  5. Feeling your happiness spilling over unto us. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan- I thought of you as I tried to capture some of those flowers- I could use some pointers from you on your macro shots :)

      Delete
  6. oh wow, awesome images here!!!... all of them! .. thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, beautiful zoo pictures!

    Isn't it good to get away with just your husband sometimes? Brian and I were able to sneak away yesterday just for lunch and grocery shopping, but there's still just something about the rare moments alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Melissa- and especially not feeling like we have to center out talk around them as much, but truly just focusing on one another- loved it. Glad you are able to do that as well!

      Delete
  8. Wow-I can feel it from here--all the way in Georgia, sitting in my loft office.

    Thanks for sharing it with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julie-it feels so good to share "normal" and light filled parts of our life - having you all celebrate with us is the frosting on top :)

      Delete
  9. Your writing is brilliant, Vicky, and the photos don't hurt either -- both yours and Rick's. God bless you for the love you pour into each post. I know it's work, it's sacrifice, but you bless us, over and over. XXOO, Roxane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thank you Roxane, we simply feel our blessings, and they are mirrored from the rest of you so often :)

      Delete
  10. SO so so very glad you and Rick got to spend some time together out having a nice time!!

    Reading about your happiness, makes me long for some too - well for more I guess, if that doesn't make me sound sound greedy!

    I smiled when I saw California... so excited!!

    Hugs and love!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it sounds "greedy" at all- I think living a life of gratitude continues to open us to the blessings all around us daily and that just feels like gift and abundance after awhile. You know? I think you know, honey- I do :) Hugs and love!

      Delete
  11. I wish all that are hurting could experience the love you have. Sadly, so many don't. But I am more than happy that you have!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy- we're just choosing where we want our focus to be. All of the other parts are still there- but we've learned how to surrender and let go of so much of them. Not a lot has changed in our circumstances- its merely in how we choose to see it :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful photos of a wonderful sounding time! So glad that happiness has tapped you on the shoulder and enveloped you in a hug!

    Eileen xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful profile photo Eileen- truly pretty! It truly did that night- people were wondering if we were celebrating something special and we just smiled and said- sort of- in a way we were :)

      Delete
  13. smiling reading about you being caught by happiness. and that you were waiting so that you could turn and embrace it...LOVE THAT.

    that picture of you and rick should be blown up and framed for the boys. it's wonderful. you both look so relaxed and happy to be with each other.

    so happy with you for the tremendous response to the article. yay for being caught!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn- thanks for celebrating with us- that is what truly blesses us- when others jump on board and share in it with us- so thank you for doing just that!

      Delete
  14. So glad that happiness caught you. It certainly is contagious just reading about it! Love the photos, too. The one of you and Rick is fantastic!

    Take care, sista!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steph! Colton is waiting to go online tomorrow to see who he will have for 5th grade!! We're so excited and I already know he will be in such great hands- Reinertsen teachers are the best!!

      Delete
    2. My fingers are crossed, Vicky! :)

      Delete
  15. This is just the most beautiful post ever. Lingering on in my heart now...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape