Friday, May 13, 2011

"a thousand fibers..."



Blogger has had "issues" these past couple of days and seems to have taken this very post away.  So I copied this from my google reader and am re-instating it.  I wish I could recover some of your awesome comments too.  But if you wouldn't mind leaving a little comment love for sweet Abby and her mom again, I know it would be greatly appreciated.  


Big bracelet news coming!  Last few days to purchase one if you haven't yet!  Click on photo link in right sidebar. 





Herman Melville:

We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects




 This is my cousin Brenda and her daughter Abby.  Brenda, Abby and a bunch of her family have done  Race for the Cure for the past few years in honor of Brenda's sister-in-law, Paula.  It was Abby this year that said "Mom, this year when we walk I bet we will be walking for your cousin Vicky too."



And so here she is, walking, with my name on her back.  And I get teary-eyed every time I see it.  Cause wait till you see how they walk... I had no idea...


This photo just cracks me up, because anyone who knows Brenda, knows this is the face that accompanies her witty and sarcastic comebacks.  I can hear her voice when I see this look on her face and I know I'd be laughing if I heard her.  She is one of a kind and I am very lucky to have her in my life.  Us daughters of the Brainerd sisters (our moms) know we have to stick together.  That way when one of us says "can you believe my mother wouldn't let me...  or used to make me..." we can look at each other and nod solemnly yes, we had suffered the same fate as a child.  Nobody could quite understand like the child of one of the Brainerd siblings.  I think we've come to realize we wouldn't have nearly the hilarious stories to tell if we didn't have that common bond.





This is the pic that delivers the shiver.  Look at all those people.  Each and every one of them has either directly been affected by, or knows and loves someone affected by Breast Cancer.  This is the Minneapolis race, and there are other races in cities throughout the United States.  The numbers are staggering when you see them like this.  

Brenda sent this to me in an email and I think she said it well... "They say we had over 55,000 people walking. To see that sea of pink, and to know that breast cancer has in some way touched every single one of them.......it becomes very overwhelming. Of course you were on my mind all day. Here are a few photos, but they don't do it justice! It was our 4th year doing this, and we were all crying at the finish line- like we always do. It just doesn't get easier. We all know we helped in the race. Hopefully a cure is out there..."


I'm thinking of that Melville quote again... 

We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects.




Every one of us can do our part.  Join the race.  Fight Like a Girl.  Go here to the Breast Cancer Site and click on the the box to help provide a free mammogram to someone in need.  I do it daily.  Everyone can do something.  I don't want to see any more names of loved ones on little Abby's shirt.  I am sure you don't either.  



We're turning a milestone in the number of bracelets that you all have bought and that Pam has graciously made.  I will get the grand total for you at some point and share with you how amazing you all are at being "sympathetic threads."  



Thanks Jen for wearing the bracelet, and your continued love and support!!  




7 comments:

  1. Unbelievable!!!

    I have long loved that Melville quote and your post offers concrete proof that it is true. We are all connected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a sea of people! It is hard to grasp that that number of people in ONE city!) have known someone who has had breast cancer.

    My Mom's 3 sisters all had breast cancer. It really changed how we as a family looked at it. It was no longer something we saw at a distance. It became up close and personal.

    You, Vicky are an inspiration to use all!

    Hugs! Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such an encouraging post ... and that little Abby is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh they put every thing back on mine I think
    Maybe if you wait a while???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so desperately they had a definite cure for breast cancer which didn't involve chemo. I hope you are doing well Vicky and getting better everyday. Continue eating well and resting sufficiently. God is with you every step of the way

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful bond and beautiful connection you share! And, I sound so repetitive here, but look at the good faces of the good people who turn out to support you!

    Always such uplifting and encouraging images and words here.

    Hope the energy of all that goodness is touching your heart!

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape