Thursday, May 5, 2011

"Happiness hangover"

Chemo round 2 done! Between my coma sleep from the benadryl they started my chemo with Tuesday, and the cheery visits from my friend Carrie, round two flew by and is in the books! I woke Wednesday feeling great, then the nausea blindsided me sometime after breakfast. The fatigue soon followed and I am sure its an extended happiness hangover responsible for most of how I feel.





Back to the silent auction and benefit.  These photos come courtesy of my father-in-law, Jim,  and sister-in-law, Missy.  

Photobucket







This is "the bracelet lady," also known as Pam.  How she managed to make another 100 bracelets to have on hand I'll never know, but she is pretty amazing.  I'm hoping she is taking a few days off for herself considering how much time her and her family have invested in the benefit.  She is truly the most giving and thoughtful friend and I feel so blessed for all she has done.

Photobucket







My mother-in-law Carole, with cousin Sara.

Photobucket






Not only is Addison, our cousin's daughter, adorable with her big brown eyes and curly hair, but when she unzipped her sweatshirt I got a huge laugh at her shirt!  So true!
Photobucket






Big shout out to the kitchen crew!  You all were so amazing!  The food not only looked great but everyone raved about good it tasted.  The ice cream was at the end was the perfect addition and everyone truly loved it.

Photobucket





The sign with the M for Moorhead was donated by Indigo where my sister-in-law works.  It garnered a lot of attention, including Nolan's.  At the end of the day, the Entzion Family was the proud new owner of the Moorhead hockey light- for about a minute.  It was Nolan who walked into the gym holding it.  Because they are extremely generous, they gave the light to Nolan. I tear up every time I see the light.

Photobucket

Photobucket




Two more of my angel girls/hockey mom friends, Tami and Steph who worked all day at the benefit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



This was Nolan's teacher from last year and her husband and new baby.  She said Nolan still comes to say hi to her and that she just loves that kid.  It could just be another Westra boy will be headed her way in third grade next year, if we could be so lucky.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mary and Amy.  Amy's creative touches were everywhere.  She helped design the "team Vicky" shirts and made sure I got one.  She did the center pieces with the breast cancer pins and so many other things I don't even know about.  She gives with her whole heart and I feel so lucky to call her friend.
Photobucket

Photobucket


This table was filled with my other family- cousins, aunts and uncles.  This is just a few of all who were there, way too numerous to count.  But that is what my real family does, they circle the wagons and bring their love and support.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Did we win?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

    Checking out...
Photobucket

Photobucket

I still look back through these photos in total amazement and awe.  These are just a sample of people and objects from the silent auction.  I picked visiting with people over spending my time looking at too much of the auction items.  Truly, the only other time I felt this princess-y and special, was on my wedding day.  Thank you to each and every person who came and ate, or hung out, or donated, or sponsored, or thought about us that day, or worked night and day for weeks... I've never felt so honored and blessed before.  



More Bracelet photos!  


This is every single Krogen, Sturlaugson, and Guhlke girl in one large group on the day of my benefit.  My mom's sister Carol is in pink in the center and the rest are all of my cousins, and my second cousins.  Wow, thanks girls, I love it!




This group of cuties are all of the senior girls from Hope-Page High School!  Morgan on the far right of us, wore her bracelet and soon every girl asked about it and then they wanted one too.  Thanks girls! 



Ninny got in on the bracelet action and got one on as a collar too! 



Day two post- chemo and I've made it half way through the day before I have caved to the calling of my bed.  That, I think, means I am doing well.

12 comments:

  1. You are doing well and amazing, my dear friend!! Look at your bright smile in that first picture :) Sunshine personified!!!

    The event was fantastic. Everyone did a great job :)

    Hugs are coming your way from Jillian too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the gut-wrenching stuff that is going on in the world, it is just the most wonderful thing EVER to know there is one little corner full of light and love, with blessings pouring down like rain! It was so good to read your post today. Not that I like reading about effects of chemo, but I'm so glad #2 is done. You are always in my prayers, and I can't tell you how you have strengthened me during the past weeks. Thank you for posting today and sharing the pictures. I only wish I could have been a part of all the hoopla!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing community of people Vicky! Imagine the sense of belonging this imparts to your boys.

    I think that light is upside-down btw, it has to be a "W" for Westra!

    Hope all your loved ones are making lots of space for you to rest, regroup, renew and for your beloved immune system and its chemo partner to do its job.

    Big, gentle ((((hug))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing more than "well"... amazing, you are.. .KEEP GOING!!!... and jeez, cut yourself some slack and take a nap now and then... recharge recharge recharge.

    Your people are just wonderful. These pictures give me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me think of Lance Armstrong so much, Vicky. And he beat every odd and look at him NOW! This is gonna be YOU, sister!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiling at your good report ... and that little kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how big Moorhead is but they all must have been at your benefit...how exciting!!! It's so wonderful to see God bringing community together for you. Praying you will continue to feel better from this last round of chemo. ((Hugs))

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your a trooper Vicky. I sure hope you feel better after this second round of chemo.

    I'm always thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're doing BRILLIANTLY friend. i'm so stinking proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicky, you look amazing! How can someone going through chemo look this bright? I feel like a broken record here, but you are really doing this with as much as style as possible friend. Such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are so surrounded with loving people. Keep encouraged and keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicky, I'm showing off my bracelet on my blog. I'll send you a picture too. Happy, happy, happy, happy Mother's Day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape