Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What you don't see... and what I am thankful for.



My husband Rick produced a beautiful game program for the Moorhead Spuds Girl's hockey team. I get to say that, mostly because it happens to be true.

He took all the pictures, laid it all out and worked with his graphic designer to achieve the look the girl's desired. He made many, many, revisions. Yet the whole production of the program took less than a couple of weeks.

What you don't see, is how it consumes his time night and day. What he doesn't tell you, is that he leaves our house at 11:30 pm Monday night and drives through the night to his production plant. He arrives at 5:30 am, loads the programs into the truck and drives it all the way back home. He gets home in time to go to hockey practice with the boys.

Then he delivers the game program to the girl's first home hockey game. Its youth night. There is food, autographs by the girl's hockey players, and fun. A win is recorded in the scorebook. Nolan celebrates his unique approach to autographs, having the girls write on his arms. And for his favorite player? Kendall gets to write across his forehead... (sorry Jordy, he may have traded you in for the next Christian hockey player on the local scene.)

The pictures tell the story well. Its what we DO see.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket





And while everyone else is at the Sports Center? I am at a meeting at the other rink. For hockey. Because what you don't see, are all the hours spent behind the scene figuring out our way in this new hockey year. Many of us, filling out forms, making rosters, coming up with practice drills, coordinating the intricacies of travel teams. (And not blogging... clearly, I've not been doing that.)

I've also been watching little L this week. She is learning to walk. She hardly crawled before she came here at the end of September. Now she is standing alone and trying to figure out how to move a foot in such a way as to not topple over. What we don't see, is that day by day, hour by hour really, she falls over and over again. But each time she gets up quicker. Each time she becomes stronger. She figures out how to plant her feet and slowly she realizes she can balance alone for a second, and then minutes at a time. She actually works on walking most of her waking hours. But we don't tend to see that. I'm fixing food, or running to grab something or playing princess with E... and L is learning to walk the whole time... we just don't see it.

I've been trying to figure out what I am thankful for this year. I know its all the things you would expect me to say. My family, friends, our good health, and many other blessings. But this Thanksgiving, I'm also giving thanks for all the things we don't see. The uncelebrated moments. The moments that happen before the camera goes click. The moments we don't blog about. For some reason, I can't quite explain, I've been drawn to these moments lately and I've decided to give thanks for them too.

And what are you grateful for this year?

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and dedicated man your husband is....a superb Daddy...and I know that you and your children are thankful for him. You are a loving Mother...work so hard with your family..and E and L.. :)) (family, too, right?)....and I love the theme running through your post..."What you don't see"...very meaningful....and gives me pause for thought, Vicky. Thank you for a lovely blog.
    I'm thankful for my Lord...who loved me before I even knew Him...drew me to Him...and loves me even though I am unworthy. I am thankful for His Grace.
    I wish you and your family a blessed and happy Thanksgiving.
    Always,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic post, Vicky!!! You've constructed, organized, and powerfully written this!! It is truly memorable, and really gets me thinking!!! I love the repetition! Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!! Love you! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good, friend. And I love that you have a husband who is as dedicated and considerate and caring as I know you to be. What a perfect match.

    Thankful for you, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your husband did a wonderful job on that program!!!!!

    Hope you guys have a great day tomorrow!!!!!

    I'm thankful for blogging and meeting wonderful friends like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are looking in the right direction as far as what you're seeing and what we aren't.....

    your hubby is the best....and you're quite the mom on the go....both inside and outside the house....

    the happiest of thanksgivings to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hubby is a good guy and you are a loving mommy. I love the photos you posted.

    I am thankful for my family...family is so important. Without my family I would be a lost soul!. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have a husband as devoted and hard working as yourself!

    Happy Thanksgiving and Holiday Season Vicky. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. You husband did a terrific job! What great pictures too!

    My oldest son just loves hockey. We talk about it all day.

    Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape