Sunday, August 26, 2012

gathering and scattering...


I have such a whirling cloud of emotions hovering these last few weeks.  We've been tossed through the cycle, suffering through loss while still having moments of triumph and peace in between.

My back is no worse, and not much better.  But I have figured out how to navigate fairly well.  And I have loved having you all celebrate with me- "its not cancer" is perhaps the most magical thing I've heard in a long time.

It probably goes without saying... our "trip" has been postponed yet again.  But rather than feel too sad about it, it just keeps us dreaming and ever more determined to make something happen.  I am convinced we will go... we just will...

I found myself inspired by this t-shirt arriving in my mail box yesterday.  With all of the "Westra Family Benefit" planning taking place- this quote resonates deeply with me.



Amen- so encouraged and inspired by all of the volunteers signing up to help at the benefit and all of those who have said they're attending.  Some exciting news surrounding both the benefit itself and the days leading up to it... more to come...

Here is a sign up sheet for anyone else interested in helping out: Westra Benefit Sign-up Sheet.  


 Karen @ This Old House II, helps organize and run dog adoption events in her community. To help raise funds she created this t-shirt and I simply wanted to "Pay-it-Forward."  Karen and her friends help match rescue dogs with forever families!  Her posts about the event make me want to adopt every stinkin dog... but Crosby has us about maxed out in the dog department.  So sending a small donation was a no brainer.  






I've also been inspired by the work of my friend Kristin.  She and her husband started a blanket ministry for the homeless in her area.  Again- the cost of donating and mailing a blanket of my own didn't make sense.  But I could send her some money to purchase a blanket or perhaps two.  Look through her photos and see the difference she is making and you'll be inspired too. 



My Gitz handcrafted canvas helps keep me in check.  It seems to be our season to "gather," but truly it makes me look harder for what I have to "scatter." 




This is the new Bloom Book Club book and I picked it up when Dayspring announced it was on sale with free shipping.  It has a straightforward premise that we live in a society of excess.  The author decides to challenge herself and her family to 7 different areas in which they will reduce, reuse, rethink, etc.  

The first chapter is where she decides to eat just 7 foods for 4 weeks straight.  Chicken, spinach, sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread, water, apples, and eggs.  She gives an honest and often hilarious account of both her successes and her failures.  I've just started, but sure have had some kernels of truth lodge firmly in my gut.  More scattering planned.  




What are you reading these days?  Books?  Blogs? I'd love to hear who is inspiring you right now? 

































23 comments:

  1. So glad that your back is not cancer and hope it gets better and better.

    I recently found a blog that I find really inspiring. I look forward to the author's posts as they help me become a better person. You can find it here. thewestraworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Joan, I'm truly honored if anything I say touches someone else in some small way :) Thank you friend for your gracious words! Blessings to you...

      Delete
  2. i along with so many were thrilled to hear that your back issues weren't cancer related....but still, i hope you feel better soon !!

    my girlfriend yesterday told me i have to go buy and read "gone girl" and for blogs, oh heck, i read {well look at} so many. it's kind of what settles me down at night and the inspiration i find is always worth it.

    hugs to you !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth- I just finished The Language of Flowers and totally loved it... I have to go back and look at your list again. Gone Girl is one I will check into too... Me too on the blogs- but I feel like a dork sometimes when there is one I don't know about and everyone else seems to love- so I love to ask :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading historical books whether fact or inspirational fiction. My Nook is also loaded with books as I am an avid reader!

    The Lord's timing is perfect and He knows when it is best for you and your family to take that vacation, Vicky. Just rest in the knowledge that He has your best interests at heart.

    Hugs, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen- I enjoy historical fiction as well :) Hugs to you!

      Delete
  4. I just picked up 7 to read along with Bloom too! Also doing Beth Moore's A Heart Like His study. For fun, I'm reading Divurgent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth and I have Harlan Coben's newest, Stay Close, waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I haven't heard of Divurgent and Insurgent- off to check it out- sounds intriguing- actually all of your suggestions sound good! Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Very inspiring sites, Vicky. Your post reminds me to look at what I scatter and be mindfull to give it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Ha- no worries Anyes- I hadn't thought of it that way- I like your perspective- you could scatter things in a mindless way just as easily as mindful- good thoughts!

      Delete
  7. Hi sweet Vicky~
    I hope your back starts feeling better.
    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen- why thank you- I am sure it will :)

      Delete
  8. Right now I am reading Wrecked by Jeff Goins.
    Who inspires me. . .Vicky Westra! (And that is NOT because you mentioned me, but thank you :)
    You have inspired me for a long time now.
    As for blogs, oh my goodness, there are SO many! It's a wonder I ever get anything done in my home for all the blogs I want to read! ;)
    I pray you have a most wonderful, glorious week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kris- that is so sweet of you- its very mutual and feel blessed to have "met" you in this way. I need to go check out your book suggestion- thank you! Blessings on your week!

      Delete
  9. Hi Vicky,
    Prayers that your back continues to heal this week and soon you will be pain free!
    Blogs that inspire--I read 100's of blog posts a week and I would definately put your blog at the top of my list. Your words are beautiful...and you are an inspiration.
    Thanks for the book recommendation--I am putting it on my TBR pile.
    Last evening, I restarted a book that I began when I was going through chemotherapy. The book is called To Be Told by Dan Allender. (Subtitle: God invites you to coauthor your future.) A good "look at life" book.
    Blessings on your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim- thanks for the gracious words- and the book suggestion. I am getting some really good ones! Blessings to you this week as well!

      Delete
  10. You look great in the photo. I hope you continue feeling better.
    I read To Heaven and Back by Mary C Neal MD.
    I was amazed how close I felt to this woman and her experiences.
    It's a small world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have seen this book and have wondered what it was like. Thanks for the suggestion- I think I could be busy the rest of September reading!

      Delete
  11. Vicky.. YOUR blog is the first that comes to mind when I think of inspiration! and I've also heard that Gone Girl is a great read, it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gone Girl is top of my list now, and have so many other good ones too. Thank you for your gracious words- I still have that knee jerk reaction of wanting to look over my shoulder for "that" girl you all are referring to :)

      Delete
  12. What a blessing it is to have good news, sweet Vicky!
    Hugs and prayers,
    Carolynn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. "The One Year Book of Hope Devotional" by Nancy Guthrie, Julie Andrews autobiography, just finished "Eats, Shoots and Leaves", and just started, "Woe Is I". Plus, always reading cutting-edge medical info as if I will find the answers to everything. I haven't but I've found a LOT of questions. So hoping your back begins healing and giving you some relief because although we are thrilled it's not cancer, it IS pain and pain can be emotionally and physically debilitating. Of course you're grateful, we're grateful, and that still doesn't make it go away. Praying for that, dear Vicky.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape