Friday, February 1, 2013

-23...



Our wake-up calls continue to come early and 630 am hockey practice means a 515 alarm.  Nolan needs money put in his lunch account and what time will Grandpa come to be with him today?  I  mumble an answer through squinting eyes, letting the pull of sleep keep me from moving.

Suddenly the radio blasts as my own alarm signals its time now for me to get up too.  I head to Colton's room to wake him from his slumber as I stumble through the dark to the kitchen to start the coffee.

Colton heads up the stairs, fresh from his shower, as I pour the first steaming cup of joe.  We hurry through his spelling list one last time then begin bundling up for the bus stop.  He doesn't resist when I go to tie a scarf around his mouth, covering his nose til only a slit of his eyes are showing.  Its minus 23 outside.  Yes, that's right, 23 degrees below zero and cold doesn't really begin to describe it.

I send my little off across the street and watch to be sure he gets on the bus when it arrives shortly thereafter.  I turn to refill my coffee cup and notice the sun rising.  I grab my camera and stand just long enough with the front door open to rapidly fire off a few shots.  The dog isn't even tempted by the open door to move from his spot by the heat register.  

The sun rises brilliantly and then settles behind the same grey clouds its been keeping company with for some time.  The clouds open up and snow begins to fall blanketing everything with a fresh layer of crisp white.  But no matter... the sun was peeking out today and Colton didn't leave for the school bus in the dark.  I hurry off to pack my bags for our big hockey weekend in the cities and smile at the way the light broke through the clouds, if only for a moment.

10 comments:

  1. I think these sunrises are the best part of the day.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the common sense of your sweet dog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was -30 here this morning so school started two hours late. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's what i call a "snot freezer" temperature! you go outside, inhale, and your snot freezes--for real. can you say BRRRRRRR.....

    i know the rinks will feel balmy in comparison, but still take some extra socks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing to think that we were both probably marveling at the beautiful sunrise many hours away from each other? Actually this morning as I drove to work, I thought...sure wish I had a camera. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicky, I saw it too, and wanted to take a photo, but I couldn't really get it right. Thanks for doing that for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The light broke out through the clouds and you were there to catch it...beautiful Vicky ...If the temperature does not warm up soon, you'll be all transformed in ice cubes :-)
    Sending you love xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful capture, and expression with words. WOW, that's cold. I won't complain about our temps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how cold it has been there right now--yikes! I hope you had a nice hockey weeeknd in Mpls. STAY WARM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. -23 is crazy! They should close down schools when it's so cold! The sound of warm coffee on a cold morning makes me feel so good!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape