Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tiny regrets

I hope its all I ever have, tiny regrets. This photo is one of those. Its the only year we didn't send out a Christmas photo or letter. It is the only semi-acceptable photo we got, but we couldn't get past the look of our oldest strangling his younger brother.

But its classic for who they are as brothers.  Even with scribbles over the top of it,  this photo has  become one of my favorites.  Nolan's love is big, fierce actually.  His hugs leave you breathless, and he won't let go until you hug him back equally hard.  And Colton has been the unwitting recipient of these overly exuberant hugs for years now.

It's Dakota's eyes in this one however that are the most telling. She is already panting, her sure-fire sign she wants to bolt from sight, and there is this pleading quality to her big brown eyes, "pleaassee can we be done before that boy wraps his arms around my neck too?"








At some point Colton started to fight back.  They had epic battles of each one asserting their will over the other.  Separating them was our only respite.  But they're growing in their relationship. The harmony doesn't last long, but in the quiet moments, I witness it occasionally.

Last night in the car, Nolan was  having a heated discussion about his future hockey career. With 7 years of hockey under his belt now, I do think "career" is a valid term, even when you are only 10. So I overhear Nolan say "Maybe in high school I'll go and play at Shattock St. Mary's." Two things about this school, we're not catholic, and even though Sidney Crosby attended and played hockey there, we don't have 40 grand a year to throw into it.   So as we gently break it to him that we'd have to sell the house just for tuition, Colton chimes in with, "yeah Nolan, that wouldn't work, mom and dad could not just sell their house and come live with you."

At this point I am thinking to myself, ahhh, they are finally starting to grasp the concept of money, and the idea they will be independent of mom and dad one day. I look back to see Nolan nodding his head... "yeah Colton, you're right. Mom and dad could never come live in the dorm with me and all the guys... because..."

Colton is nodding in total agreement, as Nolan says... "it'd be too stinky." "Oh yeah," says Colton, still nodding, just what I was thinking, way too stinky with all of those hockey players, for mom and dad to live there."


Yeah, well okay, so maybe we still have some work to do on that "understanding" of the world. I'm just going to go with the fact, they were in total agreement with one another for 3.5 seconds. Sometimes you just settle for that.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, Vicky!!! ROFL...ROFL...ROFL... This is ABSOLUTELY CLASSIC!!!! You tell this so wonderfully well!!! A terrific memory! A wonderful piece of writing!! Love you!!! Just stopping by to say "hello!" and I find this gem!!!! ~Janine XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky, I agree with Janine. This was a wonderful glimpse into life with your boys. And I could totally hear this conversation playing out, thanks to your great storytelling. We have much to look forward to, don't we? This calls to mind one of my husband's past college roommates, who really knew how to stink up their dorm room. Smell is a powerful memory trigger, sometimes for the worst. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kids and the way they think and all that they say...awesome! That is an old golden in the picture isn't it? Very cute picture! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are a natural born storyteller! loved this, this glimpse into life with boys and the way boys will be boys. thanks for the laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God for the moments when they get along. Somedays my boys are at each other's throats and somedays they are by each other's sides lending a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute picture and story! When my twin teen daughters spend time talking and not disagreeing with each other, I am a happy Mom! Happiness is about being thankful for the little things in life.

    I really like the new look of your blog too, Vicky. The background is so pretty. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Children (youth) say the most precious things....straight from their sweet little hearts and minds.....and I laughed (wondered if you had to bite your lip or turn your head as you listened to this conversation between them, Vicky...)
    Dakota....always there in spirit and the love in your heart. What a precious photo. I tend to think of it is a 'high' hug and not a choke hold... How's that??? :)))
    Love you my friend,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt like I was right there listening to your boys chat among themselves. How did you keep a straight face? That is soooooo funny. Thanks for sharing that little story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally charming post.

    It's one of the great joys of my life to see how my children love each other. I'm sure years of bickering and competing were a way of maintaining communication, that, as they matured worked into mutual respect and regard.

    I'm sure your boys will always be close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photo! Isn't it true how some of the Xmas card rejects are the most telling and some of the most cherished - mine is the one of Christopher just wailing in his little santa suit - and Fletcher sitting behind him deciding to chime in with a wolf like howl....

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is THE CUTEST photo! LOL
    We have a family portrait of Josh giving Dillon a "wet willy."

    ReplyDelete
  13. This picture cracks me up! I wish you would have sent out a Christmas letter with this picture, it sounds like one I would have actually like to receive! haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute pictures of the two children :) And I loved this post. I think you're one of those writers whose posts everyone can relate to. You're gifted and super talented :)

    Life will teach them all.. Now is their time to be children.. This time will never come back..If if you'd want it to :)

    Hope you're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so many Christmas card photo session disaster stories for you. Geez, I'm glad that those days are over.

    What cute pictures that you shared with us Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how sweet are they. how did you keep a straight face? And how does anyone afford 40 grand to send kids to school? Loved the pictures, you always take such great pictures, Vicki. I have so much to catch up on your blog I wouldnt have been surprised to find that the kids were off to college already, lol!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape