Thursday, February 26, 2009

A boy's life.




Do any of you remember some of the early chapter books you first read when you were in grade school? Do you remember Judy Blume? I would read, re-read and read her books yet again because books were like the older siblings I never had. The education that could be had by reading one of her books! And I don't mean learning how to read. She had an edge, even when "edge" wasn't so clearly defined. She was comically vulgar, and yet poignant and spot on with her writing, from what I recall. Her characters could say and do things that would have ensured me being grounded for weeks. There was always something going on between a boy and a girl behind the A&P, and in my naive but imaginative mind, I was convinced that A&P was code for something forbidden and alluring. Imagine my chagrin at finding out A&P was the name of a store... a chain of grocery stores, to be exact. She should have just called it the Piggly-Wiggly if she wanted me to figure it out.

For Nolan, reading has not really been his chosen activity. Now he has been read to from since the day we first learned about his existence. But he hasn't been really fond of reading on his own. Until he discovered what must be the Judy Blume of his elementary school years, Jeff Kinney. Nolan, who is 8, has been swept away by the "Diary of a Wimpy Boy" series of books. He saved his money and took it all to the book fair and bought all 4 books this week. While I attended my first book club meeting this evening, he sat working on his first book called "Do-It-Yourself Book." Its like a diary of sorts with fill in the blank pages with writing prompts.



So on this page he very appropriately fills in the blank for his favorite animal which is a dog.  He then goes on to very appropriately fill in the blanks for 4 adjectives that describe why he likes them.  He wrote, nice, cute, cuddly, and smart!  That's my boy, I am thinking to myself.





And then I happen to view the next random page.  Its about inventions and asks you to write down your ideas so no one else can claim them. 



Now, to be fair, I can tell he did TRY to erase his answer.  But I can still see the vague remnants just enough to make out what he wrote.  It says... 

"My name is Nolan.  My brother picks his nose, today I saw it.  The end."  

I could only think, how very Judy Blume of him...   and clearly he is not my child.  



16 comments:

  1. Gosh you write well Vicky. That was a very enjoyable read. And you never know, you may have a budding children's author there. I have been thinking about joining a book club too. My daughter set one up but too many people must have been watching the Jane Austen Book Club because the males who joined kept asking the females out, he he. Thnaks for the posts. Thought it was fantastic!! Oh and I still kept my daughters book that she too filled in maay years ago. Its truly wonderful looking back and smiling about how their little minds worked. Truly precious moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And that he filled in some answers all by himself! This could be what gets him hooked on books!
    Speaking of books, didn't you have book club last night?!?!? Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is hilarious!! I'm glad he has found an author/books that he enjoys. I was such a book worm as a kid and I loved Judy Blume too. I won an essay contest in 4 grade for my school and the prize was that I was able to go to an author's fair and meet Judy Blume and Katherine Patterson who wrote Bridge to Terabithia. It's an experience I'll never forget and I still have their autographs in my "autograph book" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilly,

    Thank you for your kind words! I am surrounding myself with such creative, well- written people, (present company included) I can't help but improve my writing skills. I love hearing about your daughter's book club, the boys asking the girls out is too funny! I too know I will treasure having these some day... nose-picking writing and all :)

    Robin,

    I so hope we can build on the enthusiasm he has suddenly developed for reading! I will definitely update you on all the details about the book club!

    Julie,

    OMG! I was just excited to find a real picture of Judy Blume last night and see who she was... to actually meet her, WOW! Do you still have the essay too? Or did you take pictures? Oh, please share! I think that is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicky = thanks for stopping by. I would love to have you join my enterage (did I spell that right?).

    I've stopped by your site often, and I apologize for not commenting sooner. I see you over at Around the Island.

    Thanks for calling attention to Robynn's Ravings. I've been with her since she started, and I'm always happy when she posts, cause I know that it will be a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy Blume was/is my all time favorite author. Her books were such a part of my life. I read and reread each book many, many times. Tiger Eyes was probably my favorite. My grandma Ada even bought me a Tiger's Eye ring!
    Blubber, well heck, I could go on all day. I agree. Ryan hasn't found too many books that he is addicted to. I had him try to read Blubber, but he didn't get in to it. I was so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - I've got 10 kids and 13 grand children...you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that they've come home with. Once, one of my grandsons wrote in a school journal, that his grandfather choked him every day.(I'm sure that statement came about, as a result of their wrestling matches.) I was soooo glad that the teacher knew us, and didn't report my poor husband for child abuse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Libby, that is too funny about your grandson! With 10 kids you undoubtedly have many good stories to tell, my goodness! And 13 grandchildren, I can only imagine what your family gatherings must look like!

    Bonnie, ME TOO! I have a tiger's eye ring too!!! My brother, when he was student teaching, came and took all my favorite books and I have no idea what happened to them or I would probably go back and read them all! Has Ryan read, Tales of a Wimp Kid? I am so hoping Nolan will just get hooked now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love Judy Blume!!! I can only hope that my daughters inherit the love of reading from me! My fave book of all time is Are You There God, It's Me Margaret? I swear, I read that book until the pages fell out. I can't wait for my 8 year old to read it! I loved Beverly Cleary too. I loved everything I could find to read about Ramona! Thanks for a blast from the past. I'm going to have to run out and try to find a copy of my fave book for my girls now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaleena! Yea! Another lover of books :) I cannot believe how nostalgic I have become in my rapidly increasing age. Just wait girl, the nostalgia grows exponentially :) In my profile I think I have "Are You There God it's Me Maragaret ?" listed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is a GOOD writer! Cryptic, humorous, tells a story in few words. Ask him if I can have lessons!

    Glad you and Libby found each other. She's a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nolan the Spy! Fantastic! I want an advance copy of his first book. And yours. This was very well written.

    Jonathan loves the wimpy kid too. I have thought about buying him the fill-in book but have never picked it up. How silly of me! It will be so cute to see what he writes, and he'll love it when he's all grown up. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robynn, Libby and I cross paths at Gitz's all the time, it was just a matter of time we'd officially meet! I'm so happy you found our Gitzen Girl!

    I can't wait to see what Nolan comes up with next :) It is never dull around here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anita,

    Is Jonathan close in age to Nolan? I loved how eager Nolan was to share it with me. And it was inexpensive at the book fair, I want to say 5 dollars or so. Definitely worth it. I appreciate your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I swear to God, Vicky... I had the EXACT same thoughts about the A&P when I was little!!!! It really was disappointing when I found out what it really was.

    LOVED this. Nolan is such a riot!

    And I loved Judy Blume. I thought Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret was sooooo grown up.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi sweetie!

    So glad to hear I wasn't alone in my thinking on the A&P!!! First the "Herbie" the dentist thing from Rudolph, and now this... so good to have that validation on the finer details in life!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape