Monday, June 24, 2013

"when the years fall away..."



“We are friends for life. When we’re together the years fall away. Isn’t that what matters? To have someone who can remember with you? To have someone who remembers how far you’ve come?” 



166 years- or thereabouts- Elizabeth figured for us.  Our years of friendship- going back to around that first year in high school, just over 30 years ago.  The five Moorhead girls.  


Who became Spuds and teenagers, drivers and debaters, cheerleaders and punk rockers.  We bled orange and black, talked like "Valley Girls," totally, cheered loud and laughed louder.  We made memories... to last a lifetime.  

We went on to college, became lawyers and writers, moms and wives, crafters and bloggers, farmers and runners.  

We moved away, losing touch, but remembering often.

Till one plate of caramel rolls and a chance encounter and one day we were all back together again.

And who knew why?

Well life seemed to know why.

Because 3 of us would lose our beloved fathers within months of each other.  And 1 of us would get diagnosed with breast cancer while the other had a niece who developed a brain tumor... and the knowing matters.  Community matters.  166 years of The Moorhead Girls, matters.  More than one could ever truly express.


And perhaps, more than ever, we've come full circle to know each other full, all over again.  To embrace those times we were young, foolish, carefree, fun-loving and crazy. And to raise our glasses to the wise, accomplished, still- fun-loving and a just a tad bit crazy- women we've become.  

















Here's to the Moorhead Girls!  May our bonds grow tighter, our laughter richer, and may our memories stretch out longer than any of us could ever have imagined. 

25 comments:

  1. Wonderfull words, wonderfull friendships (I never had), wonderfull words!

    Love you and the Moorhead Girls!

    Bussals
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Mimi- you could so be an honorary "Moorhead Girl." Love you honey :)

      Delete
  2. ♥♥♥♥♥
    Hugs and kisses,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie - hugs right back to you!

      Delete
  3. Girl time is the best! Nothing feeds the soul like time spent with your besties. Glad you had a great time with your dear friends!

    I hope your feet are feeling better, Vicky, and then you can enjoy these sunny days. Take care, sista!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steph- my feet are much better fortunately and my energy has increased which is a huge blessing- I do feel well :) I hope you are enjoying your summer as well! Hugs to you sista!

      Delete
  4. "A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world". ~Lois Wyse

    So happy you were able to spend time with your lifetime friends! It does wonders for the soul.

    Eileen xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen- what a great quote- exactly what I had in mind and always grateful when you share. Its nice to see you back! I hope you are well Eileen, hugs to you friend!

      Delete
  5. Just experienced this with two friends, one of whom I hadn't seen for 50 years, and suddenly it was as though we had just seen each other yesterday. What a blessing for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that Susan- I know how much it blesses me and I am so glad to hear when others experience the same thing.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I am so happy for you Vicky! They look like such a beautiful bunch of souls and I am so glad you are among them with your stories, laughter and love. What a treasured blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxane- so glad to see you are back! I pray your trip went well-I've been a little out of the loop and am dipping the toes back in to see how everyone is doing! Hugs to you friend!

      Delete
  7. I have no concept of what this would be like, but it sounds like you gals do! And it looks like you are enjoying it very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. A- I know there are so many others like you- and had I not somehow been open to so much coming my way- I may have missed out entirely.

      Delete
  8. I just love, love, love how happy you all look in these moments, maybe the most joyful pictures I've seen of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shoot- that is pretty high praise- thank you. I think its what happens to us- and maybe you know this as well- it just feels like total gift after coming off of such a hard week.

      Delete
  9. Those connections mean so much! Would you send me an email with your phone number. I have something for you and the boys. wiwerks@gmail.com
    Wendy iwerks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wendy- so fun to see you here! I sent out an email with my number a bit ago! Will look forward to hearing from you!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful pictures and beautiful friends. Your smile is especially beautiful Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh- thank you Lisa- so good of you to say :) Hugs friend- I hope you are well!

      Delete
  11. Thank you Robin- Amen to what both of you said- so grateful for them- and for you sweetie. Praying for you and thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, great friends. Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The power of those friendships is what is giving you strength and your smile is brightening all our lives. Thank you Vicky xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great times and nothing enriches us so much as still being loved by those who have known us the longest. In July I get to spend a weekend with my oldest friend. She and I have been in each other's lives since we were four. We always talk to each other like we just hung up five minutes ago, even if it's been a year. Now THAT's more than friends; that's family. Sounds like you had the same thing. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape