Monday, December 3, 2012

Breakfast of Champions



The letter came in a formal looking envelope addressed to "The parent's of Mr. Nolan Westra."  Oh-oh- my heart sank just a bit.  But eager to find out what the ominous looking piece of mail could actually be, I ripped it open and began to read.

It seems that Nolan had been nominated by several of his teachers in Pod B for being a good kid!  We were asked to attend a breakfast last Friday to honor the students and then watch them receive their certificates.

Ms. Lockhart, the principal of the school, read what the teachers had to say about each student and then handed the certificate and a bag of goodies to each one.  Ms. Lockhart said each pod has about 145 students, so to be picked as 1of 3 that were recognized was an honor. 

Nolan's teachers said he was a leader in class, a hard worker, and a joy to have around.   

I don't know who beamed more, the students?  Or the parents!  The school plans to hold the breakfast 3 mores times this year so that more students can be recognized.  There were so many other kids we knew surrounding us as well. We were so happy for all of them.  

What a great way to introduce some positive reinforcement.  









We have a busy week in store for us.  Rick is leaving today for Idaho for a week.  I have infusion tomorrow.  The boys have hockey every. single. day. this week.  

We also have a choir concert and Friday starts Nolan's Home Peewee AA/A hockey tournament... whew- it'll be a frenzied week.  

I'll be doing my best to live those moments full- how about you?  












24 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Nolan and the proud parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie :) He will be grinning ear to ear when he sees all these encouraging comments :) I hope you are well!

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful way to show positive reinforcement. I know that you both are proud of Nolan. He is a fine young man.
    Take care of you as you have a very busy week ahead.
    Praying for traveling mercy for Rick...
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie~ I have lots of help on stand-by should I need it :) Love to you!

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Nolan! I agree with what his teachers said --- he was the perfect combination of those 3 things when I taught him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie- he will love seeing your words here :)

      Delete
  4. Way to go, Nolan! I had to chuckle a little bit at the surprise. Why is it we always expect the bad? I know I do!

    You have alot going on this week. Will be praying for strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa- I KNOW- and its not like I get letters home all the time and should even remotely suspect anything... but I totally did when I first saw it! Thanks for the prayers- will surely need them :)

      Delete
  5. Being a former Junior High teacher, you are blessed to have a son who was chosen for this honor. Often this is a very difficult period in a young person's life. Also as a cancer survivor, I check your blog and pray for you almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francis- thank you- what you say is so true and I am your wisdom comes from years of first hand experience in working with this age group! Thank you for your visit today and your prayers!

      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. Positive reinforcement does so much for theses young minds. I am sure your smile was brightening the whole school Vicky. I can feel the joy in your words. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So joyful- completely Anyes- you read it just right :) xxoo

      Delete
  7. I love it! I love your family. You and Rick should be very proud, but those of,us who know you aren't surprised, you are motivating me to make the effort to blog again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I love your family. You and Rick should be very proud, but those of,us who know you aren't surprised, you are motivating me to make the effort to blog again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome accomplishment for all of you!

    Say, I hope it is okay, but I shared your blog link with another blogger today(Lisa at http://lisabadams.com/) You both bless me so much by your words.

    Prayers your way for this busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these moments that make it all worth it and bring joy to our hearts! :) And I'll be praying for you tomorrow, Vicky, and the duration of the week. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a proud moment to be sure! Congrats to Nolan and to his parents for raising such super boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a proud mom you must be. Congratulations to Nolan on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yaaaay! CONGRATS to Nolan....that's so awesome! :)

    Sounds like you have a very busy week with a lot of things going on. I hope it goes well.

    Thinking of you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful accomplishment for Nolan! How much better is it to acknowledge good behavior rather than those that resort to bad behavior. More schools should do this! Hope you get to rest some this week!

    Hugs my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Vicky! I am a bit late in reading - trying to catch up today!

    Hope you are doing well - big hugs!!

    This is awesome - I love it when our kids are recognized for being who they are - I love "a joy to be around" such a great compliment for a teenage boy!! You should be proud Mom!

    Love to you!
    xoTiffany

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Nolan and congrats to his parents. It is wonderful Vicky and what a handsome young man he is too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Of all the awards our kids could win, this one feels especially important! Congratulations to Nolan, and really to all involved in winning this award!
    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job, Nolan, and great job, parents!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape