Wednesday, October 17, 2012

holding on


Life's like a novel
With the end ripped out
The edge of a canyon
With only one way down
Take what you're given before its gone
Start holding on, keep holding on... Stand by Rascal Flatts



Knowing last Monday was our last full day in Yellowstone, we had some decisions to make.  With many of the sights of the park 50 to 75 miles away and speed limits of 25 to 45 mph, you have to plan accordingly.  

I got to pick and chose something close- Mammoth.  On our way to Mammoth, were the upper and lower falls. We arrived at the upper falls only to discover a fair amount of stairs to climb to get to an unobstructed view.  We decided to skip the steps and keep driving to the lower falls.   We were not disappointed.

I could hear the water falling over the rocks as we walked up the trail.  It was still a bit of a climb.  But I was surrounded by people with canes, the elderly, and people who were in no better shape than I.  

Plus, there is an undeniable energy that fills the air with excitement.  You truly never know what is right around the corner from you.  Its both exhilarating, and awe-inducing. 

And- it was totally worth it!  





You can clearly see the "yellow stone."  This canyons is also called the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.  







Rick couldn't believe I leaned over to grab this next shot.  I wasn't standing anywhere unsafe and always stuck to the trails as suggested, but it wasn't hard to get some pretty amazing vantage points with a little leaning and bending.  The white part is ice!  




This is what you will see at the end of the trail.  There is almost a hushed silence that falls over people as they first lay eyes on the tumbling water.  The colors were so vibrant.  As dry as the air was, the lodge pole pines were richly green. 






You wouldn't think after such a spectacular start to our adventure, that we could possibly top that, would you?

But you just know we did, right?


In my mind anyway... the coolest thing yet, was just a short drive away.











13 comments:

  1. Glorious! In looking at the pictures I could just hear the powerful sounds fond the water rushing on its way.

    Wishing you the strength and power and energy of the river!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome!... I've never been there, thank you for sharing with us such a powerful and beautiful life force...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the trip through your photos and blog.
    Looking up always...and holding you in my prayers as I do that.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. how glorious - the photo almost doesn't look real!

    Oh how I love being on this journey with you! So blessed! You bring such wisdom and grace - you are teaching us Vicky - and for that I am so grateful! Hoping we can talk soon - let me know when you are up to it!

    xoTiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Fantastic! Words just don't describe the beauty of the photos you were able to capture! So glad you were able to go and enjoy this beautiful, serene place. I so want to go see it also, but if I don't get to see it in person, I am grateful to have been able to see and share your photos. Stay strong, hold on! Love you!

    I don't always get to comment on your posts but I do read them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are bringing parts of the world, that we may never see, to us! You do a fantastic job of capturing the splendour of parts of this earth.

    I love the photo, looking way up the tree. Keep our eyes up.

    Praying for you on your journey. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been through Yellowstone many times, but I've never gotten pictures anywhere near as nice as yours. They are awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Vicki, just spectaculor. I have never been there before and now its going on my Bucket list. They are like postcards. In fact so perfect they look like paintings. Cannot wait for the next installment.

    So funny about your precious pup hogging the toys - only child syndrome lol.

    Anyway Yellowstone would pay a pretty penny for those snaps - or any numerous publications. I would like a book of your photos. How about it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is certainly awesome!
    You did good girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, man. Those waterfalls are FABULOUS. My parents visited there a couple of years ago (my mom's dream has always been to go).

    I hope your camera and these pictures are giving you a whole new project that you can soak in and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, this makes your album of awesome photos officially more decorated than mine. :) I stopped off at Carmel and look at the glorious sights you continue to be treated to, and seek. Again, I am so happy this trip happened for you. I sense the exhilaration. Weee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel so lucky to have you take me to visit Yellowstone. Those photographs you took are stunning and the colours are so vibrant! Thank you sweet Vicky xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, Vicky. Hunter and I are sitting here are sitting looking at the pictures and oooooohhhing and aaaaaaahhhhing (without trying to be covetous - hahahahah). What gorgeous pics and waterfalls and I appreciate the beauty you brought into my life today. Time with you, time with my son, and time with nature and God. Pretty good work, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape