Monday, November 6, 2017

answered prayers



My quick cell phone photo doesn't do the cookies justice.  They're bright pink and white and were a complete surprise arriving at our door last night.  Thank you for the sweet treat to the angel who made these- they sure were a day brightener!  And just as yummy as they looked.   So was the meal that arrived ready for us to bake tonight- thank you Bonnie- I was so touched by your thoughtfulness.  I really feel when these things happen, they truly answer some of the prayers so many have said on behalf of our family.

I know I was in search of the things I could count on last week, when so much new was cropping up, so fast.

I met with an OB, Dr. Keup last Wednesday.  She had planned on trying to do the biopsy of my uterus in office that very day.  I was so unprepared for it, but tried to steady my nerves as she prepared me for the procedure.  But I was in discomfort right from the start.  No matter how slight her movements were, it was incredibly painful.  She stopped before she really had a chance to start, saying she just didn't feel she'd get a good sample based on how much atrophy had settled in after my ovaries had been removed.  She needed to have me under anesthesia to get a good amount of tissue.  

So I told her about my scheduled stent replacement the following day,  which I had just found out would be the first surgery of the day at 645 am.  I had to arrive at the new hospital by 5:00 am Thursday morning.

Through a series of phone calls in which Dr. Keup was able to talk with both Dr. Panwalkar and Dr. Williams who was doing the stent procedure, they managed to come up with a plan to do the biopsy right after the stent replacement.  The second surgery pieced itself together in such a seamless fashion, it was hard not to feel as though bigger hands were truly in charge of how this all would go.  But it didn't stop there... the biggest surprise was about to happen the next morning. 

Rick drove me to the hospital early Thursday morning.  I was called back to the pre-surgery room shortly after our arrival.  I had felt like I was walking through a hotel lobby on my way up to the 3rd floor.  Everything had such grandeur to it.  It was a lot to take in and I found myself quiet and reflective.  

As I was being prepped by a nurse, a whole crew of people streamed in and out of my room.  I hadn't been told to take my scheduled morphine and the time had come and gone, so my nurse wanted the anesthesiologist to come in and see if she could help.

Dr. Goswami came in and introduced herself.  But she lingered as she spoke.  "My name often precludes anyone from knowing who I am, she said, coming bedside to speak with me.  There was a warmth she exuded underneath all her scrubs.  She told me she wouldn't be following me to surgery as she had been at work all night and was just concluding her shift.  She continued to speak.  "As I read your history last night, I had an idea of who you might be.  You write a blog that my surgical tech follows.  She even sent me a link to a post you had written that included Amit- Dr. Panwalkar-and it was so kind, I just wanted to thank you.  You see, Amit is my husband, and you spoke so nicely about him ... I just wanted to introduce myself so I could thank you. 

I was flooded with pure joy!  Out of all the doctors I could have been assigned to, Dr. Panwalkar's wife was the one overseeing my care at that time.  I was so awestruck in such a way that I hardly said any words to her.  It truly felt like the presence of God in that moment.  That she took the time and went out of her way to talk to me was so gracious.  She went on to be sure I got a dose of morphine before she left to go home.  She said she doesn't often tell her patients who she is because they tend to turn the conversation onto her or him and she feels the focus should stay on the patient.  

I'm not sure why it had such a big effect on me, but I settled in and felt peaceful waiting to be taken back for the surgeries.  Both procedures went well, and despite a lot of bleeding which is common with the kind of biopsy I had, and some discomfort, I was able to go home late Thursday afternoon.

I'm not sure why it is that small things continue to speak to me in such big ways.  Its a very simplistic viewpoint that I hold.  But I had to feel it was God's way of showing me that He had this, despite how nervous and afraid we may become when faced with hard things to go through.  I just want to feel like I'll be able to handle things, no matter what comes.  And He hasn't let me down in feeling as though I'm not doing this alone.  

Next Tuesday, I will see Dr. Panwalkar, and then begin the new chemotherapy regimen.  I'm so nervous to begin 3 brand new drugs with a host of new side effects that may or may not show up for me.  I will also hopefully get results from the biopsy and be able to move forward with those.  

In the meantime I've been touched by the outpouring of messages, and prayers and visits by so many. Each little bit helps see me through and I will be eternally grateful to all of you who continue to walk side by side with me through this journey.  


What do answered prayers look like in your life?  







19 comments:

  1. I love this post, reading about your interaction with Dr. Goswami, and the way it encouraged you. Our God is such a personal, loving Father; what an answer to prayer for you to feel that love in a tangible way. Thanks for sharing! It builds all our faith :-)

    God bless you, Vicky, as you continue to recover from the procedures. I pray for you, for extra strength and courage for what lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan for sharing your perspective. You in turn help "build my faith," and I love that we can garner insight from each other. I appreciate the prayers so much, they do far more for me
      than I can humanly know or put into words. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Oh I just shed a few tears over this "coincidence." What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I love that it hit you in that same way as it did me- pure gift!

      Delete
  3. Oh Vicki... there are no coincidences in life. God probably wanted to settle your nerves so he sent Dr. P's wife in. How lovely for her to see how wonderful her husband is through a patient's eyes. I will keep you in my prayers while you go through the new chemo. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your gracious words, Katie, I believe along with you- no coincidences.

      Delete
  4. In a world full of tragedy, your words sure do have a way of putting things in perspective. YOU are a bright spot to SO many, including me. I thank the Lord that I stumbled upon your journey here. I'm continuing to pray for you and the lovely doctors who treat you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "What do answered prayers look like in your life?" - YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It truly felt like the presence of God in that moment."

    So many moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't find any words to express my feelings at this moment. My heart feels full of emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hearing the hope and faith in your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gasped when I found out who Dr. Goswami is!! How wonderful that you and she should meet. A God gift, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a long time follower, but seldom comment. You see the hand of God so clearly in your journey and I know he is using you to minster to so many along the way. I pray for you to continue to stay strong and that your new drugs have few/no side effects for you. And all shall be well....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh honey,
    I can't stop smiling as I read this post! How totally wonderful that Dr.P's wife was there and encouraged you! Bless her heart! Answered prayers in my life? YOU still being here and
    sharing your life, my dear soul sis. My beloved Bert still being here, too. What blessings you both are in my life and the lives of so many others. Not a day goes by that I don't hold you both in prayer and close to my heart.
    Love you to the moon and back, dear soul sis!
    Loves, hugs and prayers...always!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. God is a mighty and wonderful Father. He delights in surrounding us with His love and mercy. I'm so thankful that Dr. Goswami took the time to introduce herself to you. I'm sure you have blessed many people through your blog.
    I hug you from South Georgia, and I send you warmest wishes for a blessed Thanksgiving as you celebrate it with those you love and those who love you.
    Always,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you on this Thanksgiving Eve, dear Vicky. I'm so sorry I missed these last two posts. Wondering how you're doing now after all of this and need to check your Facebook, too. I haven't seen any postings. Just a little worried and then read of the start on the new chemo drugs. I so hope that you have tolerated them well and are able to enjoy your day tomorrow with your wonderful family. Sending love and prayers. XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of you and your family everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Checking in almost daily and holding you and those you love in prayer. Hoping very much that you are doing okay this December.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape