Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Happy 16th Birthday, Nolan!

Happy Birthday, Nolan!  I wonder if it's selfish on my part, that I want to celebrate today, too?  Whew, Nolan, you were not an easy labor!  Dr. Johnson warned me I should never share my birth story with any soon to be mom!  From the moment my water broke and it was the color of "pea soup," my birth "plan" went right out the window.  It was the day I would discover who was really in charge of how this thing would go- and it was not me.  


"A boy is truth with dirt on it's face,
beauty with a cut on its finger,
wisdom with bubble gum in its hair,
and the hope of the future with a frog in its pocket."
-- Author Unknown



From a 16 hour labor, and 4 hours of pushing, with both the mighty-vac trying to help get you out, and then the mighty forceps that finally turned you and sprung you free... whew, boy, you were a labor of love.  

Every day, you've stretched me.  Made me reach higher, while digging deeper.  Helped my arms grow wider, and my love to multiply in ways I've never known.  You've helped me see the world in ways I've never thought possible.    

Like when you were 2, and decided to shower your freshly cleaned nursery, with baby powder, while you were supposed to be napping.  Not a surface was left untouched.  And when I tiptoed into the room and found you climbing back into your crib?  You beamed at what you had accomplished.  I huffed my way to the vacuum, as mad as I could be.  I cleaned, and dusted, and worked my way through trying to restore order... only to turn and see you standing there.  With a big cheesy smile on your face, and that darn bottle of powder, you gleefully held it up and squirted the last few shots out of it, then danced underneath the shower of it...

And you got me.  I collapsed in the sheer absurdity of it all, tears streaming of frustration that quickly turned to laughter.  It WAS funny.  I was truly just beginning to see the world though new eyes. You and I, from the very beginning, have forged a bond together that can never be broken.  



















 You've never stopped teaching me since.  And I long to know, where you're going to take me next?  Your impish smile, never-ending thirst for activity and adventure, and ability to still reach your arms all the way around me, enclosing me in a hug that could carry me forever.  


At six days old, and now sixteen years old... at just six pounds, and now 6 foot tall, I think of that book we read over and over again...

“I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
as long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.” 
Robert Munsch







16 comments:

  1. Happy, happy birthday! Sixteen is a big milestone! LOVE your unknown quote about boys - so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A milestone I wasn't so sure I'd see, and now am so grateful to have experienced!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your beautiful man-child and to his mama who has poured her heart and soul into him with amazing results. And now comes the driving and the dating and the the other big milestones that are so monumental. What a trip to see him in pictures that don't seem that long ago to me. Wasn't that stringer of fish at your mom and dad's lake house? Thank you for sharing your boys with us and letting us celebrate, too. Good job, mama. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe- yes man-child indeed! You have such a sharp memory- yes that fish was at my in-laws cabin on the lake- so many great memories! The boys love looking through these photos as much as I do. Love you- have been praying for you so much, and sending so much love and strength to see you through!!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to Nolan~~ I know your heart is full, Vicky. I loved watching him grow up here, right before my eyes.

    So much love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Julie, my heart is so full! So much love to you~

      Delete
  4. Oh my dear soul sis,
    Nolan is 16. How is that possible? What a joy it has been to watch him grow into a wonderful teenager who loves hockey, his friends and his family. Your love and care and attention have soaked into him, sweet Vicky. He is a fine young man!
    And now driving and the next miracles to look forward to. What a blessing!
    Happy 16th birthday Nolan!
    Love you, my friend- to the moon and back!
    Sending loves and hugs and prayers.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda- I'm so blessed to be witnessing another milestone- I was beaming all day yesterday! Love you sweet one- prayers continue!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, Nolan! Happy celebration of his birth, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicky... what a beautiful tribute to a wonderful son. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie- I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Nolan! Lovely tribute to an awesome son, despite that harsh labor!... lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen- oy that labor, think it was warning me what a strong willed, spirited child I would be raising- ha!

      Delete
  8. What a handsome young man.....be proud, Momma....you did good!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing to realize how quickly he has grown.
    I love the photos you shared with us.
    He is a fine young man.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape