Monday, July 19, 2010

Cully's Kids 2010, or how I spent my birthday...

I wasn't going to go... I just didn't think I was ready... but then mom said she'd babysit.  Rick had free tickets because he took pictures at the golf outing earlier that day.  And I knew we'd be surrounded by friends.   So the night of my birthday Rick and I went to the silent/live auction and concert for the Cully's Kids foundation.  Cully's Kids is the foundation started by Matt Cullen and his wife Bridget, which raises funds for healthcare needs of children, with an emphasis on children with cancer.  Matt just signed a new contract to play with the Minnesota Wild this year and our community is so excited to be able to see him play next year so close to home.

The "celebrities" invited to attend are NHL players, like Cory Stillman from the Florida Panthers, and Eric Staal, from the Carolina Hurricanes, and Bret Hedican (married to Kristi Yamaguchi) who recently retired from the NHL.  All three players, played with Matt Cullen in 2006, the year they won the Stanley Cup.

Also on hand were several of our Division I college hockey players.  Do you remember Chris Vande Velde?  He completed his season at UND and then signed to play with the Edmonton, Oilers.  I totally jumped into this picture for the sake of my friend Jen in the green UND jersey... anything to help a friend out... *wink*  *wink*




Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket






Michelle and Julie each organize one of the events for the weekend and do an amazing job. I can only imagine the tons of hours they volunteer for the events.
Photobucket






Matt Cullen with his middle son.  In between signing autographs and posing for photos, Matt takes time for his most important role, Dad.


Photobucket

Matt's oldest son running the bases...
Photobucket


While there are celebrities in abundance at the event, the true stars of the day are the kids the foundation supports.  Some of these kids and their families have overcome more obstacles in their short lives than many of us will face in our lifetime.  But they are not lacking in energy, joy and a true light that shines through.  




Photobucket

Photobucket




Nolan was thrilled to be asked to help with some of the games.


Photobucket


Future Redhawk?  Why not dream big...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


After two hours we left hot, tired, sweaty, thirsty and utterly satisfied all at the same time.  You come thinking you are going to "help" and leave knowing you are better for having spent time with these amazing kids.  

I can't imagine a better way to have spent my Birthday.  

11 comments:

  1. Great way to spend your Birthday! Wonderful photo essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool!!!!! What a wonderful and worthy cause!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun on your birthday while supporting such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a day Vicky. I'd say you had the BEST birthday ever!!!!!

    I loved all the smiley faces on your friends...you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your day was blessed in this way ... thinking of you as you walk through this time. And belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly great Vicky, so glad you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you, you name dropper you.
    What a great event and how cool for the kids with the pros there. It looked like you had a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arghhh the day looked fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cool! You know my guys here are going to be impressed. So happy that you had a nice birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool!
    Looks like a really fun day.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very Happy belated birthday Vicky! I would second your opinion. Your birthday was indeed meaningful. I am glad an opportunity like this came your way. Take care and loads of love to you :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape