Thursday, March 18, 2010

Full on Flood Fight

As the assembly-line of big dump trucks began snaking their way down our streets last night, the reality of the flood hit a bit closer to home. When the "flood" lights were brought in so that the trucks could dump their loads... all. night. long. it was like deja vu all over again. That tickle in my tummy and the shiver in my spine were all too familiar. The rumble roar of the trucks provides for little sleep, and yet it seems a small price to pay for the extra protection they provide.

But the sight of the national guard keeping watch outside of our house was again instantly comforting. The levee they constructed goes all the way down from the coulee to the street just before the river. The river is just now starting to flow into the coulee. The houses on the north side of the coulee are in the most vulnerable area and need to construct sandbag dikes along the backs of their yards. Considering the dikes last year were over our heads, the wall of water that resides behind them when the river crests, is daunting to say the least. Not to mention the force the water exerts along the face of the levee is tremendous.

So we are packing, getting ready to leave later.  We feel confident in the systems in place and the people who are remaining behind to keep watch.  We are also grateful that so much planning and preparation has been made and so many have stepped up to provide assistance.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support!










Photobucket


Photobucket




Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Oh, man. Praying, sweets.

    Now, when you say packing, do you mean for the weekend trip you already had planned, or do you mean to Rick's parents like last year?

    I just like keeping track of where you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continue to be vigilant, my friend...as I know you are.
    My prayers are right there with you. Take care of you and your family. With much love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you are packing to get out of there! Are you going to stay with family (like last time) or are you just getting ready for the weekend hockey trip? I'm just being nosy! Stay safe, my friend. I pray for you often and hope that you are able to keep us updated. CNN is informative, but I'd rather hear it from Vicky. That way, we know you're safe:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a soggy, uprooted feeling. I'm with Kaleena, I hope we hear somehow that you're on dry land soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey everyone, we are leaving for Minneapolis and hockey. Wow, just saw our little town on CNN and can't believe its such big news. But I know all our neighbors and friends appreciate all of your prayers and concern! Will update more later :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trusting all will go well ... and you'll be at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh gosh every year like this?

    There really should be a real cement wall in place so the problem is resolved once and for all.
    This must have happened before they built the neighborhood. Why would they build on flood land?
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, dear Vicky!!! You are in my prayers!!! Praying not only for safety for you and your family, but also for your home. Love you so much! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicky, I'll continue to pray for your family and neighbors. Wishing you a safe trip. Take care my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh sweetie...
    I am totally thinking of you right now and praying for you and all your neighbors for the water to go down and everyone and everything to be okay.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm watching the Twin Cities news tonight and seeing all the news coverage about your area & flooding. Hang in there Vicky.....I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Take lots of care... my thoughts are with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Vicky,

    Finally have time to write. I've been following your neighborhood from reports from Laurie, glad things are going well thus far.

    Take care and stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going backwards in your posts. So when I read it, I know the situation is better already. I hope everything returns to normal soon. Loads of love and care!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to grace me with your thoughts and words!

When you get lucky

When you get lucky

Popular Posts

Minnesota.com

Minnesota.com - MN Weather, Map, Businesses and Blogs
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape